Best late-night food spot: Surfside Taco Stand

Open+24%2F7%2C+the+Surfside+in+Dupont+Circle+is+our+choice+for+best+late-night+spot+for+its+convenient+hours+and+its+proximity+to+clubs+like+Decades.+
Lily Speredelozzi | Photographer
Open 24/7, the Surfside in Dupont Circle is our choice for best late-night spot for its convenient hours and its proximity to clubs like Decades.

Location: 1800 N St NW

Readers’ pick: Surfside Taco Stand

You’ve been here before: you’re out at 3 a.m. on a Saturday and you need a quick bite after a long night. For a slight, or massive, improvement from the greasy, average food other late-night options like Carvings or even McDonald’s offer, look no further than Surfside Taco Stand.

D.C. is notoriously lacking in its late-night food options, but with three locations across the District, Surfside is a reliable spot to grab a snack after midnight, whether you find yourself in Dupont, Tenleytown or The Wharf. Cooking up baja-inspired Mexican bites like burritos, nachos and enchiladas, Surfside features a lively atmosphere sure to make your night memorable.

Open 24/7, the Surfside in Dupont Circle is our choice for best late night spot for its convenient hours and location near clubs like Decades. The stand is adorned with a blue surfboard-shaped sign and license plates that are displayed as decoration near the ordering window.

Customers looking to eat in Tenleytown and The Wharf will have slightly stricter hours – the Tenleytown stand closes at 1 a.m. and The Wharf closes at 9 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and 1 a.m. Friday and Saturday.

Surfside’s decadent menu is packed with a variety of mouthwatering options like the negril tacos (two for $13.95), with blackened mahi mahi, spicy slaw, avocado, chili ranch and corn tortillas, and the andros burrito ($14.95), with grilled steak, slow-roasted tomato, corn, cucumber yogurt and yellow rice as highlights. Those visiting Surfside in a group may want to opt for a nacho box ($39.95), with toppings like tortilla chips, jack cheese, pico de gallo and guacamole that serves eight to 10 people.

For those looking for a lighter meal for their late-night snack, Surfside cooks up a variety of salads, like the baja ($10.95), with surfside greens, black bean and corn salsa, corn, avocado, cherry tomatoes, corn tortilla strips and chili ranch. For a beverage to wash it down, pick from delectable beverage options like traditional and cinnamon-flavored horchatas ($3.95).

Whether you’re up late cramming for a final or battling the munchies after a night club-hopping, you can’t go wrong without a quick visit to Surfside.