Best hidden gem restaurant on Grubhub: Aloha Poke

Take+a+relaxing+20-minute+walk+up+to+Dupont+Circle+and+place+a+pickup+order+at+Aloha+Poke+for+a+quick%2C+filling+and+delicious+meal+on+GWorld.+
Danielle Towers | Assistant Photo Editor
Take a relaxing 20-minute walk up to Dupont Circle and place a pickup order at Aloha Poke for a quick, filling and delicious meal on GWorld.

Location: 1333 19th St. NW

Readers’ pick: Aloha Poke Co.

The District is rich with diverse restaurants that could grab your attention when ordering from Grubhub, but Aloha Poke Co. in Dupont Circle stands on the top tier.

GW partnered with Grubhub in 2020 to allow students to pay with their GWorld dining plans on the food delivery app during the COVID-19 pandemic, expanding the palates of many to restaurants outside the Foggy Bottom food scene. Cooking up a multitude of fresh and authentic ingredients for customers to build their own poke bowls, Aloha Poke is an absolute must for those looking for quick service and healthy ingredients.

Customers can opt to customize their bowls, starting with a base of white rice, brown rice, mixed greens, zucchini noodles or cauliflower rice ($1.95 extra) followed by one or more sustainably sourced proteins – offered marinated or “naked” (plain) – including salmon, tuna, chicken, shrimp and tofu. To top it all off, choose from a variety of fresh toppings like cucumber, maui onion, edamame, pineapple, ginger and avocado ($0.99 extra).

As a finishing touch, Aloha Poke’s house-made sauces are undoubtedly the cherry on top of these delicious bowls. For a blend of spicy and savory with a hint of sweet, try the Spicy Aioli – a tangy, mayonnaise based sauce – or the Samurai – a light sauce with floral, lime and citrus notes.

For first-time customers looking to avoid the pressure of building their own bowl, Aloha Poke offers a few pre-fixed bowls. Try the Crunch Bowl with your choice of base and protein topped with jalapeño, cucumber, scallions, edamame, tobiko, tempura flakes and the Spicy Aioli and Samurai sauces.

In addition to Aloha Poke’s high-quality, sustainable and authentic menu items, its impeccable service is what makes this restaurant stand out from others on Grubhub.

For students who want to avoid paying delivery fees but still use their GWorld, Aloha Poke allows customers to place a pickup order through the Grubhub app. To-go pickup orders are ready within 10 minutes, and delivery orders can be expected to arrive at your building in Foggy Bottom in 30 minutes or less, compared to far longer wait times sometimes surpassing an hour at other restaurants.

Aloha Poke is open from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily, so if you have time in between classes, take a relaxing 20-minute walk up to Dupont Circle and place a pickup order at Aloha Poke for a quick, filling and delicious meal on GWorld.