The Hatchet named winners, finalists in 11 regional awards

The Society of Professional Journalists selected The Hatchet as the best college newspaper in its region at an annual journalism awards ceremony Saturday.

The Hatchet was recognized as winners in five categories and finalists for six awards in the SPJ’s Mark of Excellence Awards for Region 2, which includes collegiate newspapers in D.C., Maryland, Virginia, Delaware and North Carolina. First-place winners from Region 2 will compete among newspapers from 12 other regions for the national awards.

The Hatchet won in the following categories:

Breaking news photography: Images of Black Lives Matter Plaza following Derek Chauvin’s guilty verdict by Zach Brien

Breaking news reporting: Pro-Trump mob storms U.S. Capitol building in stunning clash with police over election results by Zach Schonfeld

Column writing: A love letter to Black men and boys, Black history must not be erased to spare white feelings and The beauty of Black love by Zeniya Cooley

Restaurant and food reporting: How the pandemic changed GW’s food truck scene by David Brothers

College newspaper: The GW Hatchet

The Hatchet was selected as finalists in the following categories:

Editorial writing: Staff editorials – LeBlanc’s style of leadership should leave with him, GW should mandate COVID booster shots and GW needs a cultural shift against antisemitism by Shreeya Aranake and Andrew Sugrue

Arts/fashion journalism: Sophomore breaks into D.C. drag scene during pandemic by Stella Lanuti and Nora Fitzgerald

General news reporting: Trustees supported LeBlanc amid calls to resign, retirement announcement by Isha Trivedi

Sports writing: Student athletes experience burnout during pandemic by Nuria Diaz

Best affiliated site: The GW Hatchet

Podcast: “Getting to the Bottom of It” – The pandemic’s impact on higher education by Alec Rich and Gwyn Wheeler