Faculty Senate preview: Senators to approve shared governance principles

Members of the Faculty Senate will vote on a resolution to strengthen shared governance among the Board of Trustees, administrators and faculty during Friday’s senate meeting.

Senators will vote on a resolution proposing a list of shared governance principles and mechanisms, including one to establish annual evaluations of the University president and biannual meetings among the senate’s executive committee, trustees and GW’s president. The resolution comes after the shared governance task force conducted a survey in February that highlighted faculty, administrators and trustees’ desire for increased communication and collaboration with each other.

The shared governance task force went on a retreat in February to discuss the survey results and prepare shared governance recommendations for the Board to approve this spring.

Provost Chris Bracey will also present a report on annual core indicators of academic excellence, which will typically includes University-wide updates like GW applications, faculty hiring and faculty pay.

The senate will vote on a resolution to approve changes to the Code of Academic Integrity, including revisions to the listed definitions of academic integrity violations. The senate updated the code last March to take a more “restorative and educational” approach to low-level academic integrity violations.

Faculty senators will also vote on a resolution to expand the availability of internal research awards for multi-year internal research projects and another to call on officials to affirm their support for educators facing state legislation censoring curriculum on race and LGBTQ+ issues.

The senate will vote to approve nominees for the incoming executive committee, which includes one faculty senator from each of GW’s academic schools, the senate’s parliamentarian and the chair of the dispute resolutions committee. The senate will also vote to reelect Sarah Binder, the current parliamentarian, and Joan Schaffner, the current dispute resolutions committee chair and an associate professor of law, to their respective positions.

Faculty senators will vote on two resolutions of appreciation for Arthur Wilson, the outgoing chair of the senate’s executive committee, and Miriam Galston, the outgoing vice chair, whose terms on the committee will conclude this year.