Officials looking to fill at least 10 senior administrative roles

Bitler+stepped+down+from+teaching+the+class+last+month+and+has+since+taken+a+leave+of+absence+from+GW.+
Skylar Epstein | Staff Photographer
Bitler stepped down from teaching the class last month and has since taken a leave of absence from GW.

Updated: March 31, 2022 at 5:04 p.m.

Officials are looking to fill at least 10 administrative positions this year, including senior roles in GW’s provost and development offices, according to a series of online job postings.

Interim leaders currently hold at least nine key positions at GW in offices ranging from the University president to chief technology officer, and officials have said a smaller hiring pool during the pandemic has accounted for some of the temporary staff selections. Officials are looking to hire staff for permanent administrative positions like the vice provost for faculty affairs, the vice president of communications and marketing and the vice president and general counsel.

Some of the positions have gone nearly six months without being filled. Experts in higher education administration have said shifts in employees’ priorities after the COVID-19 pandemic – like demands for more working hour flexibility – have made it increasingly difficult for universities to hire more staff and administrators.

Provost Chris Bracey, who previously served as the vice provost for faculty affairs for about 5 years before moving to the interim provost position last June when former Provost Brian Blake left GW to become the president of Georgia State University. Interim University President Mark Wrighton promoted Bracey to the permanent provost role in February.

Stacy DiLorenzo, the interim vice president of communications and marketing, has held her position since November after Sarah Baldassaro, the previous interim, left GW to become chief of staff at American University last summer.

Baldassaro filled the vice president position after Heather Swain, the initial pick for the permanent role, withdrew herself from consideration from the position. Former University President Thomas LeBlanc faced widespread criticism over his decision to hire Swain, who was connected to a sexual assault case while working at Michigan State University.

Officials are also searching for a permanent vice president and general counsel after Beth Nolan, who previously held the position, departed GW after nearly 14 years on the job. Deputy counsel Charles Barber has temporarily filled the position in the interim capacity since last June.

GW has retained company executive search firm, Spencer Stuart, and legal search firm, Major, Lindsay and Africa, to help recruit the communications and marketing and general counsel positions but has not sought assistance for any of the other senior management positions, according to GW’s job listing website.

Officials are also searching for an associate provost of undergraduate affairs and special programs, a vice provost of graduate and postdoctoral affairs and an associate vice provost of career services after Rachel Brown, who previously held the career services position, left GW in October.

The Division of Development and Alumni Relations is also searching for two assistant vice presidents to focus on fundraising in the School of Business and the School of Medicine and Health Sciences.

This post was updated to correct the following:
The Hatchet incorrectly reported that DiLorenzo succeeded Heather Swain in the interim role. DiLorenzo became the interim vice president of communications and marketing after Sarah Baldassaro left to serve as chief of staff at American University. The University tapped Baldassaro last summer to replace Swain. We regret this error.