Grammy nominations Hatchet staff has on repeat

The+Grammys+air+on+Sunday%2C+April+3+at+8+p.m.+on+CBS.+
Photo Illustration by Auden Yurman | Assistant Photo Editor
The Grammy’s air on Sunday, April 3 at 8 p.m. on CBS.

Clear your schedule Sunday night to see some of your favorite artists recognized at the 64th Annual Grammy Awards, airing at 8 p.m. on CBS.

We asked our staff which Grammy-nominated songs, albums and artists they are rooting for this upcoming awards show. From Olivia Rodrigo’s breakout pop album “SOUR” to Bo Burnham’s musical comedy special “Inside,” these are the nominees The Hatchet’s staff is behind:

“Family Ties” by Baby Keem
Best Rap Song
Tiffany Garcia | Managing Director

This year marks Baby Keem’s first Grammy nomination, and it is well deserved. The 21-year-old’s entire discography, including 2021’s fan favorite album “The Melodic Blue,” has been defined as pushing the boundaries in rap.

Keem first made waves in 2019 with the release of “Orange Soda,” his first song to enter the US Billboard Hot 100. But 2021’s “Family Ties,” in collaboration with his cousin Kendrick Lamar, elevated the rapper’s status even further as an instant banger. Keem’s skill in lyricism and experimenting with different instruments in his beats is evident in every song, even as a fairly new artist on the scene. I’ll be crossing my fingers for him on Sunday.

“SOUR” by Olivia Rodrigo
Album of the Year
Zach Blackburn | Metro Editor

Olivia Rodrigo’s debut album SOUR dominated pop culture and smashed streaming records last May, and rightfully so. With standout lyrics like “God it’s brutal out here,” the breakout album is an angsty and authentic collection of teen pop anthems.

Many of the album’s songs offer different perspectives of a breakup, from vengeful bops like “good 4 u” to the sad ballad “drivers license.” Rodrigo hops between genres masterfully, exuding alt-rock vibes in “brutal” while also slowing down the tempo for songs like “1 step forward, 3 steps back.” If SOUR is any indicator, Olivia Rodrigo will be a star for years to come.

“El Ultimo Tour del Mundo” by Bad Bunny
Best Música Urbana Album
Nuria Diaz | Contributing Sports Editor

In the Musica Urbana genre, Bad Bunny’s album “El Ultimo Tour del Mundo” is his sixth grammy nomination and could help him claim his second Grammy for reggaetón artist. The album combines classic Spanish rock with the new Urbano movement of the island while also paying tribute to the traditional music he grew up with, as in “Cantares de Navidad.”

The album rose through the ranks to gain the first No. 1 Spanish album on the Billboard charts and led Bad Bunny to become the most-streamed artist on Spotify. “El Ultimo Tour del Mundo” not only represents the influence Bad Bunny has gained over the genre, but a new experimental phase for the reggaetón genre.

“Planet Her” by Doja Cat
Album of the Year/Best Pop Vocal Album
Molly Kaiser | Contributing Social Media Director

In polarizing times, I think there’s one thing we can all agree on: Doja Cat’s third studio album, “Planet Her,” makes everyone want to shake their ass. Her lyrics and artistic style may be raunchy to some, but hits like “Woman,” “Get Into it (Yuh),” “Need to Know” and “Kiss Me More (feat. SZA)” are undeniably bangers.

But “Planet Her” is not only filled with my favorite songs to listen to on the treadmill and during a night out but also some unexpected soulful R&B beats like “Been Like This” and “Alone,” and the melodic and other-wordly track “Love To Dream,” which demonstrates the rising artist’s musical range and talent. The album oozes girl power and differentiates itself by centering ethereal femininity, making it more than worthy of a Grammy win for Best Album.

“Inside” by Bo Burnham
Best Music Film
Anna Boone | Culture Editor

Last summer, during the deceptive pandemic lull before the Delta variant surge, Bo Burnham’s self-produced feature “Inside” reminded us of the unhinged and unbearable year we had just experienced. Burnham melded his knack for filming with his lyrical comic talent in this hour and a half Netflix special.

The feature includes 21 of Burnham’s original songs, which range from the light-hearted and witty “White Woman’s Instagram” to “That Funny Feeling” and “Goodbye,” which explore darker themes and strike more poignantly. Burnham filmed all of the feature’s content during a time he was admittedly struggling with mental health, which characterized the piece with a self-actualized dark comedic tone. Winning a Grammy seems like something Bo Burnham would satirize, but I think he deserves it.