Cherry blossom-inspired treats to try around D.C.

Try+Ted+Bulletins+Ted+Tart+and+Mini+Pie+to+celebrate+blossom+season.+
Anna Boone | Staff Photographer
Try Ted Bulletin’s Ted Tart and Mini Pie to celebrate blossom season.

If there’s one thing people living in D.C. obsess over, it’s all things cherry blossom, and luckily, small businesses around the District are showcasing an abundance of blossom-inspired desserts for you to try this season.

The beautiful pinkish flowers adored by D.C. residents and tourists alike will be gone by late April, so take advantage of the various cherry blossom sweets and treats being served around the city. We’ve compiled a list of confections you should be sure to try before you have to wait another year to see the blooms again.

Olivia Macaron
Cherry blossom macaron

Located just off M Street, Olivia Macaron exclusively sells the classic French pastry, macarons. The store carries 16 flavors daily, some of which rotate seasonally, and this spring’s specialty flavors include cookies & cream, mint chocolate, lemon meringue and cherry blossom.

The cookies of the cherry blossom macaron are tinted an eye-catching light pink color with a thick and tart jammy fruit filling. You can eat this treat in two bites, so consider grabbing more than one.

Bindaas
Cherry kulfi dessert

For a cherry-infused Indian meal, stop by Bindaas in Western Market. For your entree, try out the chicken berry paulo ($16) an aromatic basmati rice pilaf with cashews, caramelized onion, saffron and dried cherries.

But save room for the cherry kulfi ($9) dessert, which is a traditional frozen Indian dessert resembling a popsicle, with a spiced cream base. The cherry kulfi is topped with cherry sabayon, an egg yolk and alcohol-based foamy cream, sweet saffron noodles and pistachios.

Ice Cream Jubilee
Cherry blossom floral flavors

This local D.C. ice cream shop-turned national chain was founded by a former presidential appointee at the Department of Homeland Security who quit her job to pursue her passion for ice cream.

This spring, you can try four floral-inspired flavors: blackberry chamomile, orange blossom tea cake, raspberry rose and smoked vanilla cherry sakura. The smoked vanilla cherry sakura is inspired by the blossoms of the season and infused with lapsang souchong tea from Teaism and swirled with cherry preserves from Whisked! bakery.

District Doughnut
Cherry blossom donut

One of D.C.’s most popular donut chains, District Doughnut, will sell its spring menu through May 22. This gives you plenty of time to try an assortment of the 14 flavors on this season’s menu.

Donuts like the lemon poppy seed, strawberry coconut and blueberry glazed scream spring with their bright and fruity flavors. But you can’t leave without the cherry blossom donut ($4) with a vanilla bean dough, cherry pie filling, cream cheese glaze and a pie crust crumble.

Ted’s Bulletin
Cherry blossom dessert line

For a variety of cherry blossom dessert options, head to Ted’s Bulletin on 14th Street, its closest location to campus. This American fare restaurant is well-known for its gourmet “pop-tarts,” which the restaurant had dubbed Ted’s Tarts.

You can try out the cherry blossom Ted Tart ($4) or sample a few of its other cherry blossom options like the cherry blossom cheesecake ($8), sour cherry reduction, cherry compote and dried rose flowers. Or try the cherry blossom churros ($8) with chocolate sour cherry dipping sauce, cinnamon sugar and dried flowers.

Georgetown Cupcake
Cherry blossom and cherry cheesecake cupcakes

This once TV-famous bakery may not be as trendy among locals, but you shouldn’t overlook its extensive spring cupcake collection featuring two cherry-centric cupcakes.

In addition to Georgetown Cupcake’s everyday classic cupcakes, the bakery sells a seasonal menu that changes monthly. April’s menu features a cherry blossom cupcake ($3.75), a madagascar vanilla cake baked with cherries with a cherry-infused cream cheese frosting and a fondant cherry blossom decoration. Or you can try the cherry cheesecake cupcake ($3.75) with a graham cracker crust, a cherry infused frosting and cherry blossom fondant decoration.