SA Office of the Legislator General files revised complaint on finance bylaws

A Student Association executive office filed a revised complaint Wednesday in the Student Court as part of its suit against the head of the SA Senate’s finance committee, arguing that recently updated finance bylaws are still unconstitutional.

The SA’s Office of the Legislator General filed a lawsuit against SA Sen. Yan Xu, ESIA-U and chair of the finance committee, earlier this month against legislation that gave the finance committee the power to sanction student organizations. Xu introduced a bill to address issues laid out in the complaint and then filed a motion in late February to stay the lawsuit, saying that this new bill will resolve the issues highlighted in the suit.

Xu said in his motion to stay that the bill would “explicitly overrule” and “supersede” the updated bylaws in question because it would remove the sanctioning powers of the finance committee, rendering the complaint moot. The senate approved the bill, but the court still needs to hold an initial consideration of the case after Xu will submit an answer to the complaint.

The revised complaint states that the passed updated finance bylaws still grants the finance committee “unilateral authority” to sanction student organizations. The complaint reads that the bill does not outline a process for how the finance committee would administer sanctions to student organizations.

[pdf-embedder url=”https://www.gwhatchet.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/OLG-Revised-Complaint-3.22.2022.pdf” title=”Office of the Legislator General Complaint”]

Download this PDF