Weekend Outlook – Explore an exhibit on Mount Everest at the National Geographic Museum

Colin Bohula | Staff Photographer
The National Geographic Museum’s Mount Everest exhibit shows the history of the world’s tallest mountain and those who climb it.

With spring break quickly approaching, take advantage of some indoor activities before the spring weather entices you to explore the outdoors.

Immerse yourself in an exhibition about Mount Everest on Friday, hear some jokes at Tonic’s comedy show Saturday and de-stress with yoga at the spacious National Building Museum on Sunday.

Friday

Once Upon a Climb: Stories From Everest
Celebrate reaching the summit of your week with an exhibition about Mount Everest at the National Geographic Museum, which reopened last month. This limited exhibition running until May 1 explores the history of Mount Everest as well as critical lessons visitors can extrapolate about our future. Through immersive media and first-person narratives, learn about the mountain and the people who climb it. Mountain artifacts, climbing videos, photographs and detailed maps of Everest will be on display to give visitors a glimpse into the world’s tallest mountain.

1145 17th St. NW. Wednesday through Sunday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Student tickets are $12, and general admission is $15. Find more information here.

Saturday

The Saturday Showcase at Tonic
Have a laugh and a drink – or lots of both – at Tonic’s weekly comedy show Saturday night. Capital Laughs will stop by the GW landmark as the company hosts some of D.C.’s funniest comics at various bars around the DMV. The restaurant will serve happy hour-priced drinks, as well as snacks like tots ($5) or the classic totchos ($7.50) while the comics perform. This event is 21+ and expected to sell out in advance so be sure to get your tickets ahead of time.

2036 G St. NW. 8 to 9:30 p.m. Donation. Find more information here.

Sunday

Yoga at the National Building Museum
Realign your chakras after a busy weekend with a yoga class in the National Building Museum. The museum is a cultural institution dedicated to analyzing the environmental impact of the man-made world. This relaxing yoga class is open to experienced yogis and newcomers alike. What’s a better way to ward off your Sunday scaries than unwinding under the 75-foot-tall ceilings? Just make sure to bring your own yoga mat.

401 F St. NW. 10 to 11 a.m. $20. Find more information here.