SA Senate passes financial reforms that could render Student Court case moot

File Photo by Grace Hromin | Senior Photo Editor
The SA’s Office of the Legislator General filed a complaint with the court last Monday against SA Sen. Yan Xu, ESIA-U, who chairs the senate’s finance committee.

The Student Association Senate on Monday passed the Financial Reform Act, a bill that could shake up a pending Student Court case.

The SA’s Office of the Legislator General filed a complaint with the court last Monday against SA Sen. Yan Xu, ESIA-U and the senate’s finance chair, and SA Vice President Kate Carpenter, alleging that updated bylaws that allow the finance committee to sanction student organizations are unconstitutional. The court had granted Xu’s motion to stay initial consideration of the case Sunday, saying that if the bill goes into effect, the legislator general’s office will have seven days to submit an amended complaint to the court.

Senators unanimously passed the bill Monday to replace the existing financial bylaws with a Code of Financial Policies, a separate governing document including all of the financial policies and regulations. Xu said in his motion to stay that the bill would “explicitly overrule” and “supersede” the updated bylaws in question, making the complaint moot if the legislation passes.

Under the previous bylaws, the finance committee could fine student organizations at least 50 percent of their general allocation or 100 percent of either a line item or their remaining student body funds. The previous bylaws also permitted that the finance committee to prohibit a student organization from receiving additional funding in the future.

The sections on sanctioning and fining student organizations that the plaintiffs allege are unconstitutional have been removed from the Code of Financial Policies, according to the legislation.