GW partners with CNN to host series of political discussions

International+and+domestic+kidney+care+experts+will+gather+in+Jack+Morton+Auditorium+from+May+21+to+23.+
International and domestic kidney care experts will gather in Jack Morton Auditorium from May 21 to 23.

GW will host a series of in-person conversations between journalists and public figures in partnership with CNN this spring.

The series, titled CITIZEN by CNN, will feature discussion between the network’s journalists and “newsmakers” about political topics in the news, according to a CNN release. The series will take place in the Jack Morton Auditorium in the School of Media and Public Affairs and will allow in-person audience members to attend by invitation only, the release states.

The first event, focused on President Biden’s State of the Union address, will take place on Wednesday, March 2 at 7 p.m. and will include CNN journalists Brianna Keilar, John King, Abby Phillip and Manu Raju.

“As a partner to the Citizen by CNN series, our University is helping to inform the public, facilitating civil discourse on critical issues, and giving our students and other members of our community access to engage with the leaders who are shaping our country and the world today,” interim University President Mark Wrighton said in the release.

Attendees may register to watch the event virtually and submit questions for the speakers.

A “limited number” of seats for the in-person event were available for SMPA students, according to an email sent to SMPA students.

The CITIZEN by CNN series started in 2018 as a day-long conference in New York City featuring discussions and debate amongst leaders in fields like academia, media, business and technology and would recur one to two times a year in the following years.

Officials will announce the remainder of the dates for CITIZEN by CNN at a later date, according to the release.