GW to provide Vern residents with free late-night Lyft rides between campuses

The+program+is+restricted+to+Vern+residents%2C+who+don%E2%80%99t+have+access+to+Foggy+Bottom%E2%80%99s+SafeRide+service.+
Sophia Kerr | Photographer
The program is restricted to Vern residents, who don’t have access to Foggy Bottom’s SafeRide service.

The University is partnering with Lyft to expand late-night transportation options for Mount Vernon Campus residents beginning next week.

The partnership, which will begin Tuesday, gives Mount Vernon Campus residents 30 monthly free rides between campuses from midnight to 7 a.m., officials said. Destiny Jackson, the director of transportation and logistics, said the program seeks to reduce wait times for late-night Mount Vernon Express shuttles, which only depart every 30 minutes between 1 a.m. and 7 a.m.

“We are launching this new service in response to feedback from students living on the Mount Vernon Campus who asked for more reliable and convenient ways to travel back and forth between campuses late at night,” Jackson said in an email. “We hope that this will reduce the number of times a student just misses the 2 a.m. shuttle, as an example, and must wait a while for the next one.”

Rides must start and end at designated pickup and drop-off locations, according to GW’s website. Foggy Bottom Campus locations include the front entrance of Tompkins Hall, the Foggy Bottom Metro Station, the University Student Center, the Elliott School of International Affairs Building’s front entrance and the Corcoran School of the Arts and Design. Students on the Vern can be picked up at the Vern’s campus entrance and the Academic Quad.

Jackson said officials will restrict the program to Vern residents because Foggy Bottom is already serviced by SafeRide.

The partnership will grant students 30 free standard Lyft ride vouchers per month. Driver tips are not included but may be added by the rider, the website states. Vouchers are nontransferable.

Up to three students can share a ride, and the vouchers are not eligible for Lyft XL rides.

“We are already planning to incorporate this late-night transportation option for [Mount Vernon Campus] residents next academic year and look forward to student feedback to help us make improvements and/or adjustments to the program,” Jackson said.