Leaks, steam force temporary closure of part of Kogan Plaza

A section of Kogan Plaza will likely be closed for at least a few more days as officials repair a broken pipe that has led to water leaks, steam and ice in the heart of campus.

A small zone of Kogan in front of Gelman Library has been taped off for more than a week as the area undergoes water and steam leakages. Baxter Goodly, the University’s associate vice president of facilities planning, construction and management, said the leaks stem from a broken underground condensate line, a pipe associated with steam heating that extracts moisture from buildings.

Goodly said in an email that officials taped off the area to protect pedestrians from slipping on ice or water that gathered due to the leaks, but the leak is not impacting nearby buildings. He said he expects the space in Kogan to be closed until temporary repairs to the pipe are completed, which he expects will happen near the end of the week.

“The repair will include digging up the ground to reach the broken pipe and make the repair,” he said in the email. “The permanent repair will be completed during the spring when the steam line can be secured.”