Alumna relinquishes flag bearer role at Olympics after positive COVID test

Meyers+Taylor+will+not+attend+the+Opening+Ceremony+as+she+recovers+from+COVID-19.+
Photo Illustration by Sydney Walsh | Assistant Photo Editor
Meyers Taylor will not attend the Opening Ceremony as she recovers from COVID-19.

Alumna Elana Meyers Taylor was elected by her Team USA teammates to walk the opening ceremony of the Winter Olympics as a flagbearer, becoming the first bobsledder to carry a flag since 1956.

But speed skater Brittany Bowe will walk on behalf of Meyers as the bobsledder announced on Instagram that she tested positive for COVID-19 Saturday. Meyers, along with her husband and son, tested positive two days after their arrival in Beijing.

“I can’t think of a better honor, other than walking by myself, than having the opportunity to give to Brittany,” Meyers Taylor said in an interview with The Today Show on Wednesday. “Brittany is an absolutely amazing human being.”

A wave of uncertainty has arisen regarding Meyers’ participation in the bobsledding squad with the events being held in just 12 days. Meyers is a favorite contender for gold in the monobob event. Currently, Meyers holds first place in the world ranking of women’s monobob.

“I am asymptomatic and currently at an isolation hotel – and yes I am completely isolated,” Meyers said in her Instagram post. “This is just the latest obstacle that my family and I have faced on this journey, so I’m remaining optimistic that I’ll be able to recover quickly and still have the opportunity to compete.”

Meyers is one of nine members of Team USA to test positive since Monday night, The Wall Street Journal reported.

The 2022 COVID-19 protocols for the Beijing Olympics require athletes who test positive to isolate at a facility where they must stay until they have no symptoms and test negative three consecutive days.