Kronos restored after cyberattack causes weekslong outage

File Photo by Donna Armstrong
Officials are working on restoration plans following a cybersecurity incident affecting the employee time reporting system last week.

The University’s online time reporting system for employees, Kronos, has been restored after a cyberattack last month possibly compromised GW employees’ personal information.

Officials announced in an email Thursday that no “sensitive data,” like social security numbers, birth dates and financial information, was stored in Kronos, but other pieces of information like email addresses and NET ID’s may have been compromised. Officials said in the email that employees should review their timecards in the Kronos system to ensure there are no missed work hours or discrepancies.

“We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience the Kronos outage has caused and the additional work that may have been created for you and your departments,” officials said in the email. “ We appreciate your patience and partnership during this time.”

The Kronos outage is the second cyberattack that impacted GW last month. The “MyLaw” platform suffered an outage beginning in December, and services were restored earlier this month.

Time punches, time off requests and approvals made between the evenings of Dec. 9 and Dec. 11 were not captured due to the outage, and employees should review the system to input any missing data by Wednesday, officials said.

GW’s payroll department will subsequently reconcile the data to ensure employees are paid appropriately.

“The reconciliation will include a review of actual hours worked, overtime and any shift differential pay,” officials said.

Kronos said in a statement last Saturday that they had restored the platform’s core software to all customers.

“We are now focused on the restoration of supplemental features and non-production environments and are extraordinarily grateful for the patience and partnership our customers have shown,” the statement reads.