Weekend Outlook – Attend a dance performance exploring prominent social issues

Photo Illustration by Auden Yurman | Assistant Photo Editor
Check out the African American dance company Philadanco! for an alluring performance centered around major social issues.

As the cold days continue, ignite your weekend in the DMV by immersing yourself in the wonders of the arts.

Start your weekend at a dance performance highlighting Caribbean and African heritage, enthrall your senses with ARTECHOUSE’s new exhibit combining music with digital painting on Saturday and materialize the creative fuel from your adventures to craft your own customizable candle on Sunday.

Friday

“Philadanco!” The Philadelphia Dance Company
Attend an electrifying dance performance by Philadanco! as the group celebrates 50 years as one of the most prominent African American modern dance companies. Through captivating choreography, Philadanco!’s top dancers explore prominent social issues in an effort to bridge cultural divides through dance. Dancer and co-founder of Black Arts Collective, BaKari Lindsay, sets his new performance to Malian music from kora, a type of harp lute, highlighting Caribbean and African heritage.

The Music Center, 5301 Tuckerman Ln., North Bethesda, Md. 8 p.m. Proof of vaccination or negative test result is required. Find more information here.

Saturday

“Transient: Impermanent Paintings” at ARTECHOUSE
Dive into the arts at ARTECHOUSE’s newest audiovisual exhibition. Admire the digital paintings displayed on every wall around you as the line between painting and music starts to blur. Visual artist Quayola employs technology to link every realistic brush stroke to a piano note, producing a duet between traditional painting techniques and music. The expedition was originally presented as a live performance, so make sure to indulge in the innovation of the arts through this enveloping experience.

ARTECHOUSE, 1238 Maryland Ave. SW. Open Friday to Sunday from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Student tickets are $20, and general admission is $24. Proof of vaccination required. Find more information here.

Sunday

Candle Making Workshop
Try a hands-on crafting experience at a candle-making session at Scents by the Company to round out your artistic weekend. Unleash your creativity as you choose between various essential oils to customize your ideal soy candle. With all the materials you’ll need provided, including natural soy wax, a portable stovetop to melt your wax and mixing materials, the workshop provides a fantastic opportunity to learn about the candle-making process as you receive light refreshments.

4929 St. Elmo Ave., Bethesda, Md. 1 to 3 p.m. $65. Proof of vaccination is required. Find more information here.