Hall of Fame initiation postponed

Photo Illustration by Sydney Walsh | Staff Photographer
With the new additions, the GW Hall of Fame will expand to feature 183 members plus three team honorees.

The Hall of Fame Induction ceremony was postponed due to the current Omicron spike in D.C., the Athletic Department announced Monday

Athletic director Tanya Vogel said in a release that the department is still looking for a possible future date to host the induction ceremony and will update participants as the details are set. She said the department had considered an online event but had “quickly ruled it out” as officials thought it was unbefitting for the celebration.

“Unfortunately, however, we are going to have to delay when we celebrate this class in person, she said. “On account of the record caseloads and hot spot that Washington, D.C. has become – and with safety, both physical and emotional, top of mind – it has been decided that it is not prudent to host an in-person induction on February 4th.”

The department released the names of seven individual Colonials being inducted into the GW Athletic Hall of Fame in a release in the fall along with the 1992-93 men’s basketball team and former administrator Karen Ercole. The 2022 class includes a trio of student-athletes who made history by breaking the color barrier at the University.

Associate Athletics director Brian Sereno said this year’s Hall of Famers have been supportive of the University’s decision.

“Regarding our Hall of Famers, they have collectively been understanding and supportive of the postponement until a time when their family, friends and fans can gather with safety as the top priority,” Sereno said in an email.