Lacrosse releases spring 2022 schedule

Freshman midfielder Tori Hampton runs after the ball during Friday’s game against Duquesne.

Lacrosse announced its spring 2022 season schedule last Monday.

The season is set to begin on Saturday, Feb. 19 as the team hits the field at Annapolis to face off against Navy. The team will look to improve during Head Coach Jennifer Ulehla’s second full season at the helm, following a 6-6 record last year and a 0-7 record in 2020 in which the team was not able to play its conference slate.

The Colonials are set to play their first three nonconference matches away where they will play against Villanova and UMBC. After a four-day break, GW will return to the Mount Vernon Campus March 2 where they will take on crosstown rival American to wrap up their slate of nonconference matches at home.

After another four-day break, the Colonials are set to play against another crosstown rival, this time Georgetown on March 12, with the location still to be determined. The final two nonconference matches will be played at the Vern where the Colonials will face off against Kennesaw State and Longwood.

Last year, GW finished its condensed nonconference schedule with an overall record of 3-2, winning three straight games against Old Dominion, American and Longwood.

Atlantic 10 conference play will begin in North Carolina as the Colonials take on Davidson. GW will return from a four-day break to duel Richmond at home.

The Colonials will once again take the road to Philadelphia where they will play against La Salle. Holding a two-day break where they will return to D.C. for the last home game for the following week, they will face off against St. Bonaventure.

GW will begin a three-game road swing where it will visit Massachusetts, George Mason and Saint Joseph’s in a period of a week beginning April 8.

The Colonials will return home to finish their last two matches where they will play against Duquesne and VCU hoping to set the final necessary points to qualify for the championship. Last season, GW concluded the conference slate with an overall record of 3-4, causing them to miss the postseason.

GW has neither earned a winning record nor made the postseason since the 2013 season, in which they secured a 9-8 record before losing to No. 13 Massachusetts 13-5 in the semifinals of the A-10 Championship.

This year, the A-10 Championship will take place in Amherst, Mass. from April 28 until May 1, where the Colonials will compete for a spot in the NCAA Tournament, seeking their first berth since 2007.