GW prepared for ‘isolation-in-place’ strategy under heightened COVID-19 anticipation

Grace Hromin | Senior Photo Editor
Officials said they may adjust the stringency of the guest policy depending on the severity of the pandemic.

Officials are prepared to implement an “isolation-in-place strategy” on campus if the number of positive COVID-19 cases exceeds isolation housing capacity, they announced in an email to residential students and families Thursday.

The email states the University reserved 250 beds at a nearby hotel to house students who must be “temporarily relocated” because of COVID-19 isolation during the spring semester. Administrators said they expect a “large number” of students returning from winter break to test positive for COVID-19, and they plan to ensure these students have access to medical care, course materials and dining resources while they isolate.

The email did not include additional information about how officials would implement and enforce their isolation-in-place guidelines.

“We believe that the combination of our vaccine and booster mandates, routine testing and indoor mask requirement will help keep our community members protected from severe illness or hospitalization resulting from COVID-19,” the email reads.

GW’s isolation housing is now five times larger than its capacity during the fall semester because of the new hotel space, according to the email. The email states that officials’ preparation for isolation-in-place serves as part of “several contingency plans” for the University’s COVID-19 response.

Last week, 526 GW community members tested positive for COVID-19, according to GW’s COVID-19 dashboard.

The University’s medical advisory team will continue to monitor the District’s COVID-19 rates and make additional recommendations if necessary, according to the email.