Permanent U-Pass cards to be distributed the first two weeks of spring classes

Photo Illustration by Sydney Walsh | Photographer
The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority’s proposed budget for fiscal year 2021 includes plans for higher fares during peak and later hours.

Students will be able to collect their permanent U-Pass cards in the University Student Center during the first two weeks of spring classes, officials said in an email Thursday.

Students eligible for U-Pass can pick up their “GW-branded” U-Pass Metro card on the third floor of the student center from Jan. 10 through Jan. 20. The email states students will have to present their GWorld card to pick up the U-Pass card, which will be active through the end of the spring semester.

Students can pick up their card in the Grand Ballroom Monday, Tuesday and Thursday between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m., Wednesday between 2 to 8 p.m. and Friday between 9 a.m. and noon during the first week of the semester, the email states.

During the second week of classes, students can pick up their cards Tuesday between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. and Wednesday between noon and 4 p.m. in the Grand Ballroom. Cards will be distributed Thursday between 3 and 8 p.m. in the Continental Ballroom.

Officials said the temporary U-Pass cards that were distributed at the end of the fall semester are no longer active.

Officials announced in November that they would implement the U-Pass program for a $100 semesterly fee after a years-long effort from student advocates who said U-Pass would enable students to affordably travel and explore D.C. All undergraduate students have been automatically enrolled in the program while graduate students have the option to opt out.

“We hope that you are as excited as we are to formally implement this new program to provide you with more affordable transit options,” the email states.