Baseball adds assistant coach to staff

Eric Lee | Staff Photographer
O’Neill previously served as the director of baseball operations for Duke where he helped coordinate team activities and recruitment.

The former director of baseball operations at Duke has joined the baseball staff as an assistant coach.

Chris O’Neill will serve as assistant coach and assistant recruiting coordinator, Head Coach Gregg Ritchie announced in a release last Wednesday. Prior to joining GW, O’Neill served as the director of baseball operations for Duke where he helped coordinate team activities and recruitment, the release states.

“Chris brings a special combination of tools, experience and skills to our student-athletes,” Ritchie said in the release. “He is a disciplined technician that has strong teaching, communication and creativity skills. He is going to tremendously impact the training and development of our team, and his leadership will be a difference maker in assisting the team and program reach new heights.”

Before his gig with the Blue Devils, O’Neill also coached at Bucknell, Marshall and Maryland Eastern Shore.

“I’m thrilled at the chance to join Coach Ritchie’s staff,” O’Neill said in the release. “He has made George Washington feel like home in a short amount of time. I can’t wait to get started contributing to the winning mentality and performance of our Buff & Blue athletes, and I’m thrilled to try and push this team to Raise High!”

O’Neill was also the manager for the Grand Lake Mariners, a summer collegiate team, for two seasons where he helped guide the Mariners to the team’s most wins since 2009 in his first season at the helm. In his second year, he led the Mariners to a second-place finish and the team’s first finals appearance since 2006.

O’Neill will join a team looking to improve on a 26-18 overall record last year and earn a berth to its first Atlantic 10 tournament since the 2018 season.