SMHS, MFA create office for clinical research to consolidate resources

About+half+of+GWs+COVID-19+vaccine+trial+participants+hail+from+minority+backgrounds%2C+exceeding+the+30+percent+goal+researchers+set.+
Sophia Young | Contributing Photo Editor
About half of GW’s COVID-19 vaccine trial participants hail from minority backgrounds, exceeding the 30 percent goal researchers set.

The School of Medicine and Health Sciences and Medical Faculty Associates opened an office this month to support faculty and staff involved in clinical research.

SMHS officials announced the creation of the Office of Clinical Research, which will centralize resources and provide “pre-submission and post-submission support” for researchers involved with clinical and translational studies, in a release last week. The release states the office will enhance clinical research education and manage finances, operations and regulatory compliance and eventually expand to include the entire GW “human-research” community.

The office will create a defined “reporting infrastructure” and support “budgeting, proposals, development and implementation” of clinical and translational research, according to the release. The release states the office will also work with researchers to customize research plans and guarantee safety at all stages of any trials.

“While GW has had many successful clinical trials over the years, today, we are establishing an office that will support this important research and provide a higher level of efficiency, quality and safety related to clinical trials at GW,” Mardi Gomberg-Maitland, the director of medical research for the office and a professor of medicine, said in the release.

The office will also introduce a new clinical trials management system called OnCore, which will analyze electronic health records, increase research operations management and ensure a “more compliant” billing process.

The office will launch a new website and adopt additional resources in early 2022, according to the release.

“The new efficiencies that we will enjoy through additional and tailored resources will provide GW’s researchers the ability to be nimble and meet their goal of contributing to the advancement of medical science,” Robert Miller, the SMHS vice dean for research and academic affairs and a professor of anatomy and cell biology, said in the release.