Men’s basketball postpones final non-conference match

Although+the+Colonials+were+unable+to+finish+off+a+late+surge+to+win+the+game%2C+center+Noel+Browns+performance+was+a+bright+spot+with+a+career+high+10+points+scored.+
Sydney Walsh | Assistant Photo Editor
Although the Colonials were unable to finish off a late surge to win the game, center Noel Brown’s performance was a bright spot with a career high 10 points scored.

Men’s basketball postponed its match against Maryland Eastern Shore Wednesday to curb the spread of COVID-19 as the region faces an uptick in cases driven by the Omicron variant.

Both teams are currently working on rescheduling the match, the athletic department announced in a release Wednesday. The game was supposed to conclude the Colonials’ non-conference slate and marks the first postponement of an otherwise smooth season after the pandemic delayed last year’s season.

Last year, the squad was forced to postpone 10 matches, including a stretch in which the team did not play any matches from Jan. 18 until Feb. 20.

Officials announced in an email this past Thursday that all facilities would be closed to the public effective immediately, stating basketball games for the following week would be taking place without an audience moving forward. Officials announced Wednesday that classes would be held online for at least the first week of the semester as they respond to an all-time high of coronavirus cases.

The Colonials will be back in action next Thursday in their Atlantic 10 opener against St. Bonaventure. Tip-off is scheduled for 4 p.m.