D.C. Council renames street outside Saudi Embassy after slain journalist

File Photo by Donna Armstrong | Senior Staff Photographer
The strip of New Hampshire Avenue in front of the Saudi Arabian Embassy will be dedicated to the late journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

The D.C. Council unanimously voted Tuesday to designate a section of New Hampshire Avenue in front of the Saudi Arabian Embassy as “Jamal Khashoggi Way,” honoring the Washington Post journalist who was killed in the Saudi consulate in Turkey in 2018.

The Foggy Bottom and West End Advisory Neighborhood Commission had initiated commemorative efforts for Khashoggi in 2018 when commissioners passed a resolution to rename the roadway a month after his assassination. U.S. officials have said Khashoggi’s killing was ordered by Saudi crown prince Mohammed bin Salman, although bin Salman has denied involvement in Khashoggi’s death.

Ward 2 Council member Brooke Pinto, who represents Foggy Bottom and introduced the bill, said the change is meant to remind embassy visitors of the killing, which she called an assault on freedom and democracy.

“Jamal Khashoggi knew that by shining a light on Saudi Arabia and seeking truth, he risked his freedom and, indeed, his life,” Pinto said in a statement after the bill’s introduction. “Journalists around the world and here in America face similar dangers every day, and we must never let those who seek to intimidate them succeed, because when journalism is under assault, our freedom and democracy are under assault.”

The change will be made official during a public ceremony next month, according to a release.