Prix fixe holiday menus for foodies in D.C. for the holidays

Sophia Young | Assistant Photo Editor
Nina May caters to guests looking for a casual pre-fixe dining experience that gives an authentic taste of what D.C. has to offer.

For foodies staying in D.C. for the holidays, several restaurants are offering seasonal prix fixe menus for guests to sit back and enjoy an expertly curated culinary experience.

French for “fixed price”, prix fix menus traditionally consist of multiple courses that have been specially curated to give guests a chance to sample often local and seasonal ingredients. Whether you’re seeking out a gourmet meal for a special holiday dinner or you just want to get out of your culinary comfort zone, these restaurants have you covered this winter season.

The Dabney
The Dabney offers a seasonal, no frills prix fix menu that reimagines winter classics with simple ingredients. Guests can enjoy a selection of four snacks and one item from each of the three courses. Sourced from Mid-Atlantic farms and purveyors, each menu item is stripped back allowing each of the ingredients to shine.

Highlights from the entree portion of the winter menu include an ember roasted squash with smoked feta, pecans and Virginia maple syrup and Beaver Creek quail with cornbread stuffing. bourbon brown butter ice cream, toasted marshmallow, chocolate shortbread and candied ginger are among the dessert options that guests can choose. At The Dabney guests can experience a relaxed night with a view of the glowing wood-burning hearth and a variety of dishes showcasing a true taste of what the Mid-Atlantic has to offer.

Mt. Vernon Triangle, 122 Blagden Alley NW. $95 per person, four courses. View the menu here

Bresca
Offering decadent three-, four- and six-course seasonal menus at varying prices, Bresca gives guests ample dishes to choose from. Guests who order the four course option will be served a squash tart, a choice of two first courses, one main course, and vanilla madeleines and a chocolate pot de creme.

Among the first courses are a sunchoke agnolotti and a burrata and winter citrus option. Additionally, the brioche stuffed Amish chicken with black truffles and “caramel apple” girolles is a standout item on the main course menu. Awarded a Michelin Star in 2020, Bresca is the best spot for those looking to indulge on meals inspired by Paris’s Neo-bistro movement.

Logan Circle, 1906 14th St. NW. $84, $96 or $135 per person for three, four or six courses. View the menu here

Nina May
Nina May is a hidden gem when it comes to a robust autumn and winter prix-fixe menus and is committed to only sourcing ingredients from farms within 150 miles of D.C. Guests can opt for a chef’s choice, which consists of about five plates, to be shared for a flat price of $44 per person with a two person minimum.

Items to look out for on the chef’s choice winter menu include roasted autumn squash and pumpkin caesar salad, little neck clams with chorizo sausage, smoked feta and butternut squash agnolotti, and a Moon Valley carrot cake to finish. Nina May caters to guests looking for a casual pre-fixe dining experience that gives an authentic taste of what D.C. has to offer.

Shaw, 1337 11th St. NW. $44 per person, chef’s choice. View the menu here

Gravitas
This industrial establishment adorned with exposed brick walls, iron beams, an open kitchen and floor to ceiling windows is serving up creative dishes. Gravitas showcases seasonal produce in a five-course menu, allowing guests to choose from a refined selection of plates for each course. The autumn vegetable salad, pumpkin veloute, collard green tortellini, spiced duck breast and “caramel apple”, are among the dishes highlighting flavors familiar to popular holiday dishes. Gravitas serves up well executed dishes stripped down to show off the quality of its ingredients in a stylish atmosphere sure to impress any foodie.

Northeast Washington, 1401 Okie St. NE. $150 per person, five courses. View the menu here

Shilling Canning Company
This simple yet high quality restaurant named and inspired by Chef Reid Shilling’s family canning business offers a seasonal winter three course menu utilizing local produce and produce from the restaurant’s garden.

For the first course, guests can choose from a pear and fall greens salad or an autumn olive pork belly. Path Valley sweet potatoes, duck confit and Chesapeake oyster chowder are among the entrees that guests can also choose from. The Shilling Canning Company does simple best, the dishes are gourmet in flavor but refreshingly basic in preparation. Guest’s looking for a restaurant to please a crowd should add the Shilling Canning Company to the top of their list.

Navy Yard, 360 Water St. SE. $60 per person, three courses. View the menu here