Graduate students provide boost to retooled women’s basketball roster

Point+guard+Kyara+Frames+said+she+thought+her+college+career+would+have+ended+last+year%2C+but+she+is+now+looking+to+make+an+impact+on+the+court+as+a+graduate+student.+
Sophia Young | Assistant Photo Editor
Point guard Kyara Frames said she thought her college career would have ended last year, but she is now looking to make an impact on the court as a graduate student.

Women’s basketball welcomed three new graduate transfers to the team this season that will provide valuable Division I experience on both sides of the court.

Graduate student forward Ty Moore and point guards Sierra Bell and Kyara Frames all played significant roles on their previous teams and proved vital to the Colonials’ first two wins of the season. Collectively, the trio has logged 215 minutes of playing time through 240 minutes of play thus far this season.

Moore, who played for Troy last season, averaged 9.7 points and 6.0 rebounds as she helped Troy win their fourth Sun Belt Championship. Bell averaged 10.7 points last season playing for Purdue Fort Wayne, and she dropped the fourth most free throws in program history when she sank 15-of-18 free throws against Robert Morris Feb. 20.

Frames was the team captain of Albany and averaged 8.3 points and 3.3 rebounds while leading her team from deep, shooting at a 35.7 percent clip. Frames said her goal this year is “just to have fun.”

“This is my last year,” Frames said. “I want to bring an impact to this program and just win some games. I would love to build some better chemistry with my teammates, and you know, it’s going to be a battlefield every time we play.”

Head coach Caroline McCombs said she looks for Frames and Bell to bring leadership to the point guard position as they work to understand everyone’s roles and positions on the team. McCombs also said Moore has been a “terrific presence” for the team on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball.

In the squad’s home opener against American University, Moore dominated the game through her scoring and rebounding. She recorded a double-double, scoring 18 points and grabbing 11 rebounds while shooting 75 percent from the field. Moore had a plus/minus of plus-16 when she was on the floor, the best of any Colonial, and she hit a myriad of mid range jumpers to close out the game in the fourth quarter.

Moore said McCombs has been “one of the most comfortable” and “down to earth” coaches she’s ever played for. She said she’s been putting all her work into McCombs because McCombs has been putting all her work into her.

In addition to Moore, Bell and Frames also played significant roles in GW’s comeback home opening victory.

Nicholas Anastacio | Graphics Editor

Sierra Bell spurred GW’s second quarter offense, drawing two shooting fouls and hitting 4-of-5 from the free throw line early in the quarter. With 7:10 left in the quarter, Bell grabbed an offensive rebound and moved the ball until Frames hit a jump shot with 6:59 left to bring GW within two points at 18-16.

Frames scored 4 points and grabbed three rebounds in the duel with the Eagles. She played tough defense throughout the game, forcing a charging foul on American with 5:29 left in the third and also showed her leadership by directing the Colonials’ offensive sets. She hit the first shot of the second half, a crossover layup, which set the tone for GW’s aggressive driving as they eventually took the lead in the third quarter.

Frames talked about the importance of the team staying together during difficult times. She said the team will go through some “tough moments” both on and off the court but is confident in their ability to remain a team through it all.

“As long as we stick together, then there’s not going to be a lot of people that can beat us,” Frames said. “I feel like we’re our own worst enemy if we fall apart. So if we stick together, then there’s going to be a lot of teams that can’t beat us when we’re in this gym.”

After the comeback victory at home, the Colonials dropped their next two games, losing to Virginia Tech at home and Minnesota on the road, before capturing a narrow victory over Old Dominion Thursday where Frames scored 11 points. As the Colonials look to establish a winning record, leadership from all three graduate students will be pivotal in GW’s success.

Throughout the season, Frames is looking to encourage younger players to appreciate the various parts of the season, through both wins and losses. She said as a graduate transfer, she has a greater appreciation for still having the chance to play because “this time doesn’t last forever.”

“I thought that last year would be my last year playing college basketball,” Frames said. “Luckily, I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to come here. I think that just being appreciative to be able to wake up every day and do something everyone else doesn’t get to do.”