Weekend Outlook – Attend a performance of Rent at Signature Theatre

Photo Illustration by Sophia Young | Assistant Photo Editor
The show will kick off the 25th Year Anniversary Tour of the iconic rock musical about a group of bohemians in the East Village of New York City.

As final exam season is on the horizon, carve out some time this weekend to enjoy live entertainment throughout the city.

Catch a comedy show right off campus on Friday, learn about culture through a virtual film festival highlighting Native stories Saturday and enjoy a smash Broadway musical on Sunday.

Friday

Comedy Night with Iliza Shlesinger
To start the weekend with a good laugh, head a few blocks southeast of Foggy Bottom for a comedy show with comedian Iliza Shlesinger. Shlesinger gained substantial recognition when she became the youngest and only female comedian to win reality TV talent show Last Comic Standing. She began her comedy career performing in shows at Boston’s Emerson College, and has since become popular in the industry for her insightfulness and ability to work a crowd. You can find Wonderland, a film she co-starred in with Mark Wahlberg, and her four specials on Netflix. Take a 10-minute walk off campus to catch Shlesinger in action at Constitution Hall this Friday.

Constitution Hall, 1776 D St. NW. 7 p.m. Tickets range from $69 to $111. Find more information here.

Saturday

Native Cinema Showcase
Celebrate the best of Native film with the National Museum of the American Indian in its 21st installment of the Native Cinema Showcase. This year’s festival, which is being held virtually, will focus on language, community building and healing. The films, which will be available for viewing on demand, range from documentaries to dramas created by Native filmmakers throughout the Western Hemisphere and Arctic. Discover films like Waikiki, a feature about modern issues faced by Hawaiian people, as well as the other documentaries and dramas featured throughout the festival.

Virtual. 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Free. Find more information here.

Sunday

RENT: The Musical
Find an exhilarating musical, rock concert and moving LGBTQ+ story at Rent’s opening at Signature Theatre. The show will kick off the 25th Year Anniversary Tour of this iconic rock musical about a group of bohemians in the East Village of New York City, a hub for the LGBTQ+ community that saw the beginning of the gay rights movement. Well-known songs from the musical include “Seasons of Love,” “One Song Glory,” “I’ll Cover You” and “Out Tonight.” The show explores gentrification, love, tragedy and the legacy of the HIV/AIDS crisis. As a winner of both a Tony Award and a Pulitzer Prize, the show received stunning reception for its portrayal of HIV-positive individuals and musical score.

Signature Theatre, 4200 Campbell Ave., Arlington, Va. 22206. 2 and 7 p.m. Ticket prices range from $40 to $108. Find more information here.