MFA switches to new portal to ‘streamline’ patient experience

Photo Illustration by Camille DeSanto | Assistant Photo Editor
The new portal allows patients to pay their bills, view their financial history and request financial assistance.

The Medical Faculty Associates transitioned to a new patient portal last week with a series of new features for patients to pay their bills, view their medical history and schedule video visits with their MFA providers.

The new portal called MyChart features a line of billing improvements, scheduling capabilities and expanded access to health records and information, according to the MFA’s website. MFA spokesperson Anne Banner said patients can better monitor their appointments and family health care needs through the new portal.

“As always, our goal is to offer our patients a better experience, and through this new technology we are able to streamline every step of their health care journey,” Banner said. “MyChart is a secure patient portal where our patients can access their health information, they can schedule appointments, and pay their bill in one place.”

MyChart provides more billing flexibility for MFA patients than the earlier system, allowing them to pay their bills, set up payment plans, view their payment history and request financial assistance, according to the MFA’s website. Unlike FollowMyHealth – MFA’s previous portal – patients check in for appointments ahead of time, place themselves on waitlists, cancel their appointments and receive “preventative care reminders” through the new portal, the website states.

Among other new features, MyChart also allows patients to contact customer service, view their vision prescriptions, obtain a care plan and read about different health trends.

Patients can no longer send messages to their care team, schedule MFA appointments or renew their prescriptions through FollowMyHealth. The previous portal will still provide access to patients’ old messages, appointments and prescriptions.

Banner said MyChart is part of an upgraded “electronic medical record” called Epic, a company that develops software to enhance community health. More than 370 companies, the majority of which are part of the health care and hospital industry, use MyChart, according to Enlyft – a software marketing business.

The MFA’s new and previous portal remains isolated from the GW Hospital’s patient portal – Health Records Online.