Faculty Senate faces resolutions on campus master facilities plan, LeBlanc sendoff

File Photo by Arielle Bader
Daniel Schwartz added in the email that he will provide students with an update “later this weekend.”

The Faculty Senate will discuss a resolution calling on officials to consider more faculty input in the University’s development of the Strategic Campus Facilities Master Plan at its upcoming meeting Friday afternoon.

Officials outlined the plan to renovate the Foggy Bottom and Mount Vernon campuses with a series of redesigned buildings and public spaces at last month’s Faculty Senate meeting, featuring drafts of potential upgrades like a “reimagined” Kogan Plaza, an ambulatory care center near Ross Hall and additional recreation space near Potomac Square. The fiscal planning and budgeting committee and the technology subcommittee will also share reports with senators at the meeting.

“What this is is really a lot of big ideas and concepts as we think about the very long-term future of our campus, and you’ll see those in the presentation,” University President Thomas LeBlanc said last month of the facilities plan. “What it’s not is a commitment or a budget to any specific project.”

LeBlanc said at last month’s meeting that although the Board of Trustees has not approved the campus updates, officials will need to approve the designs by the end of 2022 if they want to implement them before GW’s developmental rights expire in 2027.

Senators will also vote on a resolution of appreciation for LeBlanc as his time at GW comes to a close next month.

Mark Wrighton, the former chancellor at Washington University St. Louis, will become interim University president beginning Jan. 1 for up to 18 months as the Board works to strengthen shared governance and begin the search for a new permanent president.

The senate previously passed multiple resolutions criticizing LeBlanc’s work as president, and a majority of professors indicated on a faculty-wide survey earlier this year that they had lost confidence in LeBlanc.