Men’s and women’s soccer bid farewell to veteran players

Arielle Bader | Assistant Photo Editor
Midfielder Kelly Amador heads the ball during the game against Saint Louis University Sunday. The Colonials fell to the Billikens 1–2, ending in second place in the A-10.

Men’s and women’s soccer will say goodbye to the groups of seniors and graduate students who were crucial to their success over recent years.

The players leaving the teams made hundreds of appearances and racked up tens of thousands of minutes for the Colonials. The seniors and graduate students were key cogs in their respective squads, as both teams look to move forward without making A-10 tournament appearances this season.

Here are some highlights of the departing players’ time as Colonials:

The six players leaving the women’s soccer program combined to make 260 appearances and racked up a collective 16,754 minutes for the Colonials. During their time on the squad, they helped guide the Colonials to the A-10 tournament in 2017, 2018 and 2019, when they made the A-10 Championship Final before falling to Saint Louis.

Kelly Amador, a native of Yardley, PA, played in a staggering 83 games, starting 69 of them and racking up 6,098 minutes over her career. She tallied eight goals and eight assists over her career, serving as captain in her last three years with the program. A versatile player, she played as a striker or a central midfielder and was recognized on the A-10 All-Conference Second Team this year.

“I love soccer and I’m so lucky to have been able to play through college,” Amador said in an email. “I’ve grown so much over my five years here, received an amazing education and met some people that will be in my life forever. Now that I’m done with my career I realize that’s really the most important part and I’ll always be grateful to a lot of people (shoutout mom) but also GW for that.”

Forward Sophia Danyko-Kulchycky came to GW as a graduate transfer from UConn this year and made an immediate impact. She played in 13 games, starting nine of them while totaling 768 minutes. She scored one goal and had three assists on the season and was at her best when dribbling at defenders in space.

Goalkeeper Erica Lorenzana, a native of Manhasset, New York, appeared in 14 games, making four starts in her senior year. In her six appearances this year, she conceded seven goals and kept two clean sheets.

“Being a part of GW’s program gave me the opportunity to be a part of something much greater than myself,” Lorenzana said in an email. “It meant to be given the opportunity to play the sport I love with my best friends while receiving a prestigious education. I will forever be grateful for the sport, the program and the best friends it gave me.”

Midfielder Maria Pareja, a native of Fairfax, Va., played in 65 games for the Colonials, starting 57 of them and totaling 4,825 minutes. She scored nine goals and registered seven assists in her time with the Colonials and was named to the A-10 All-Rookie Team in 2018 and the A-10 All-Conference Second Team in 2019.

Beth Ellinport, of Gaithersburg, Md., played in 40 games and made 9 starts while scoring two goals throughout her career despite sitting out her sophomore year due to injury.

Central defender Madi Coyne, of Ewing, New Jersey made 48 appearances and 39 starts. She scored six goals and recorded one assist over her career, highlighted by a four-goal season in 2019.

The seven players departing the men’s soccer program combined to make 327 appearances and play 19,444 minutes as Colonials. They helped the team to two A-10 conference tournaments, in 2017 and the spring of 2021, where they made the conference championship game for the first time since 2011.

Defender Joshua Yurasits, a North Wales, Pa. native was a linchpin of the Colonial backline over the past five seasons. He started 68 of 71 games and totaled 6,066 minutes over his career. He scored one goal and tallied eight assists in his time at GW and was tied for the team lead in assists in 2018 with four.

Forward Oscar Haynes Brown, who hails from London, England, cemented his spot in the program record books in his five years with the Colonials despite injury struggles. Over the course of 50 games and 39 starts, he accumulated 31 goals and six assists.

Haynes Brown ranks seventh on the Colonials all-time scoring list and ended his career on a high note, notching four goals in his final game in a 4-3 overtime win over Saint Bonaventure Oct. 30 to increase his tally to nine on the year.

He scored 10 game-winning goals in his time at GW, five of which came in overtime. He was named to the A-10 All-Rookie Team in 2017 and was also named to the A-10 All-Conference First Team in 2018. In the spring of 2021, he was named again to the A-10 All-Conference First Team in addition to the United Soccer Coaches All-Region Second Team.

Midfielder Sandro Weber joined the program in 2019 as a graduate student following a prolific career in Germany at the amateur and youth levels. Throughout his time in D.C., he racked up six goals and three assists in 39 games played, 28 of which were starts. In his penultimate season, he was named to the A-10 All-Academic Team and the A-10 All-Championship Team.

Icelandic native and central defender Hrólfur Sveinsson came to GW as a graduate student in the spring of 2021. He played in 24 matches, starting 23 of them and scored one goal in the regular season finale against Davidson April 10.

Defensive midfielder Cameron Mathewson, a native of Worcester, England came to GW after spending time at the Cheltenham Town Academy. He played in 40 games and started in seven of them, becoming an important fixture in the lineup towards the end of the season this year, starting in the final six games.

Midfielder Matthew Brummet joined the team as a transfer following the fall semester of his freshman year at Old Dominion. He went on to play 47 games for the Colonials, starting in 14.

Midfielder Alhaji Turay, a native of nearby Olney, Md., featured in 55 games, starting in 38. He scored one goal and had two assists during his time with the Colonials.