Person dies after being found with apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound near Lincoln Memorial

Surrounding+people+did+not+appear+to+hear+gunshots+before+the+person+was+airlifted.+
File Photo by Sydney Walsh | Assistant Photo Editor
Surrounding people did not appear to hear gunshots before the person was airlifted.

Updated: Nov. 9, 2021 at 3:29 p.m.

An individual died by apparent suicide after being found with a self-inflicted gunshot wound near the Lincoln Memorial Monday evening, police said.

U.S. Park Police officers responded to the scene where the victim was lying, clearing space for the helicopter to land near the bottom of the Lincoln Memorial steps just before 7:30 p.m. Brianna Burch, a Metropolitan Police Department spokesperson, said the case remains under active investigation.

“This is currently a death investigation, preliminarily an apparent suicide with a self-inflicted gunshot wound,” Burch said in an email.

U.S. Park Police spokesperson Roselyn Norment said Monday that the helicopter had transported the victim to a local hospital.

An eyewitness who declined to give his name said he found the victim, who was slumped over and bleeding, on the steps near the Reflecting Pool.

He said he and other witnesses immediately called emergency services to help the person, who he said was breathing, and paramedics and police arrived within minutes.