Weekend Outlook – Attend a comedy show at DC Improv

Ward+off+your+Sunday+scaries+with+some+cheerful+entertainment+at+DC+Improv+in+Dupont+Circle+Sunday+night.+
Sophia Young | Assistant Photo Editor
Ward off your Sunday scaries with some cheerful entertainment at DC Improv in Dupont Circle Sunday night.

Although a weekend at home might sound appealing as the weather grows colder, mix up your regular weekend calendar with a variety of events around the District this weekend.

Begin the weekend at a cross-cultural remembrance celebration at the Altars Festival, stroll through the Red Eye Market, where you can eat authentic Asian food from prominent D.C.-based chefs, and then shake off the Sunday scaries with some laughter at a performance by DC Improv.

Friday

The Altars Festival
Engage in cross-cultural ancestral remembrance traditions at STABLE Arts, a contemporary art gallery in Northeast D.C. Curated by nine artists to remember American ethnocide, the Altar Festival displays nine diverse cultural altars, which are used in common tradition among various cultures to remember loved ones who have passed away. Drawing on ancestor remembrance celebrations like Día de los Muertos, the Altar Festival encourages D.C. residents to remember past cultures, like Cambodian, Korean and Persian, and listen to their stories through art. The festival was inspired by the new novel “The Crime Without A Name,” by Barrett Holmes Pitner, a professor of journalism in the School of Media and Public Affairs, and explores ethnocide and the ways in which we talk about race and culture in America. Visitors can add their own pictures to the altar, so attendees are encouraged to bring photos of departed loved ones.

336 Randolph Place NE. Noon to 6 p.m. Free. Find more information here.

Saturday

The Red Eye Night Market
Support small businesses at a cultural night market this Saturday. At the Red Eye Night Market, some of D.C.’s most prominent chefs will come together to celebrate Asian culture and enjoy authentic cuisine. Whether you have a sweet tooth or salty craving, the market will host plenty of vendors from around the DMV to satisfy your hunger. Try a bao from Bao Bei or matcha-flavored treats from Matcha Time Cafe. The market is outside so you can enjoy the brisk autumn evening air while staying COVID-safe.

Pennsylvania Ave. NW between 3rd and 7th streets. 4 p.m. to 12 a.m. Free. Find more information here.

Sunday

Ryan Conner at DC Improv
Ward off your Sunday scaries with some cheerful entertainment by seeing comedian Ryan Conner perform in a cozy restaurant setting at DC Improv in Dupont Circle. On NBC’s reality TV show Last Comic Standing, judge James MacDonald described Connor’s performance as “the best 3.5 minutes I’ve seen in five years,” so his one hour set is sure to amuse. Conner is known in the comedic world for his talent to draw his quick wit and relatable humor into fast-paced improv work. If you’re hungry, order a black bean burger for dinner and a peanut butter pie for dessert off the venue’s menu while you watch the show.

DC Improv, 1140 Connecticut Ave. NW. Sunday at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $20. Find more information here.