Student Music Coalition showcases student talent at Halloween basement concert

The+event+included+a+slew+of+bands+and+solo+musicians+playing+genres+like+indie+rock+and+rap.+
Sophia Young | Assistant Photo Editor
The event included a slew of bands and solo musicians playing genres like indie rock and rap.

GW’s Student Music Coalition presented its first Halloween concert Sunday night in collaboration with music streaming app Put Me On.

The coalition’s co-presidents Jacy Case and Wyatt Kirschner alongside the club’s e-board members organized the free event that was held in the basement of the joint National Panhellenic Council townhouse at 607 23rd St. NW. Six bands and musicians of student performers, who ranged from punk and indie to rap, rocked out at the “Sunday Scaries Show,” which opened its doors at 7 p.m.

“We have a lot of really talented musicians around campus and we were like, ‘You know, we need a concert,’” Case said. “So we made it happen.”

The featured bands and solo musicians included indie rock band Citrus Maxima, indie duo Alphabet Soup, solo rap artist Collin Cadet, indie band Jacy Case and friends, rock band Static TV and solo rap artists Khari Crooms.

Several of the student performers were members of the SMC, which is located in Shenkman Hall’s basement. Members can access three different rehearsal rooms equipped with drum kits, amps, microphones and keyboards with their 24/7 access to the space.

“I think what I would really love to see is the GW community coming and supporting their fellow student artists and just having a good time at a music and arts centered event,” she said.

Case said she was glad to host the event in the NPHC townhouse, especially since several members of NPHC’s six historically Black greek organizations were developers of the Put Me On app.

“The SMC space is not the best for having a show but we have all the equipment, so locating people that can help us really put on a great performance for everybody has been a really good experience,” Case said.

Along with organizing the event, Case played some of her original songs for the first time with her band, Jacy Case and friends.

“Sharing that with new people has been a really exciting experience and a really cool process to go about,” she said.

Zack Basile and Max Cohen, the students behind Alphabet Soup, met two months ago through the SMC.

Alphabet Soup performed original songs at the concert that they collaborated on and self-produced independently during the pandemic.

“It’s a really special thing to play in somebody’s basement,” Cohen said. “It’s not something that has happened too much since COVID.”

He said he was stoked when he heard SMC was putting on a concert, and they hope they will organize more in the future.

“Any organization that takes it upon itself to put together live music is great,” Cohen said. “SMC gave some big help to tiny dorms and everybody at the previous gig, I think it’s great that they’re putting on more.”

Senior Wyatt Kirschner, the SMC’s co-president, is a member of two of the bands that played, Citrus Maxima and Static TV.

Kirschner said he and others had the idea for the event because of the lack of house shows since Mystery Inc, a prominent house venue in D.C., closed.

“Now that that’s not really happening anymore, we just kind of wanted to capture that same spirit,” he said. “We just started seeing if anyone else was interested in performing and it kind of all came together a few weeks ago.”

Kirschner said all of the artists participated in promoting the event.

“We had every artist perform a post about it,” he said. “We made a poster and posted it everywhere, and I’ve been sharing on social media to a lot of our friends, telling people to pass it along. Very word of mouth type thing.”

Static TV was started during his first year at GW after he met other freshmen with a shared interest in punk.

“We were really into punk music in our freshman years but now we’re kind of into more complex stuff with different time signatures,” Kirschner said. “We really got into Polvo and stuff like that, so that’s kind of our direction now.”

His other band, Citrus Maxima, is from upstate New York and they have a more alternative indie sound. Their song, 1970, has racked up more than 130,000 streams on Spotify.

Kirschner said they’ll be playing that song among others from earlier EPs as well as unreleased music.

While Kirschner is graduating this year, he said he hopes next year’s e-board puts on another show.

“I think it’d be great to make it like an annual thing,” he said. “There’s real interest in house shows and a lot of people just aren’t exposed to it, so hopefully it’ll happen next year.”