GW to centralize wireless networks this summer
By Hannah Marr, Assistant News Editor • April 25, 2024
GW to renovate Pelham Commons this summer
By Barry Yao, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

Halloween-themed cocktails throughout the District to try this weekend

Elissa DeTellis | Photographer
Urban Roast is featuring four “spooky cocktail” options served with dry ice to elevate the Halloween feel.

Finding fall-themed sweet treats and coffee drinks is easy during this time of year, but Halloween-centric cocktails should not be slept on.

From an upscale, specially-curated Halloween cocktail tasting to an alcohol-infused candy treat to please your inner child, we’ve compiled a list of spots around D.C. where you can try Halloween cocktails this weekend. These restaurants, bars and cafes get creative festive cocktail names and one spot even finishes the cocktails with dry ice to complete the eerie feel.

Here are our picks for spooky halloween cocktails to try in the District this weekend:

Morris American Bar: “A Morris Halloween”
Located in the Mount Vernon Triangle neighborhood, Morris American Bar specializes in craft cocktails and small plates. And this Halloweekend, the cocktail bar will be offering a special Halloween-themed tasting menu. Each ticket, which you must reserve ahead of time on OpenTable, includes three “spooky cocktails,” with a food treat to pair. The cocktails on this weekend’s menu are not advertised, but in past years Morris has presented cocktails like a “Corpse Reviver #2” with gin, cointreau, Lillet blanc, lemon and absinthe and a “Cloak and Dagger” with black rum, aged rum, lime and sugar.

1020 7th St. NW. Tickets are $60 per person with a party max of six people. Reservations available from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.

Tryst: “fire starter” fall cocktails
You may be familiar with Tryst’s food and coffee, but the cafe also offers an extensive cocktail list. For a tasty seasonal cocktail this weekend at this Adams Morgan cafe, check out its “fire starter” specialty cocktails. This seasonal menu list includes four cocktail options. For a cold option on these uncharacteristically warm fall days, try the winter sangria ($9) with red wine, warm spices, brandy and citrus. The warm drinks include a spiked cider ($12) with steamed apple cider, bourbon and brown sugar syrup, winter toddy ($10) with earl grey tea, bourbon and lemon juice and spiked rooibos tea latte ($10) with almond milk, bourbon and brown sugar syrup.

2459 18th St. NW. Open daily 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Find the seasonal cocktail menu here.

Dirty Habit: chambord cotton candy
Dirty Habit, an upscale new American restaurant and event venue in Penn Quarter, is hosting a public Halloween party Saturday called “Nightmare on 8th Street.” The event is free with registration and you’ll be offered complimentary chambord, a raspberry liqueur, infused cotton candy. If you’re craving more alcohol than what the cotton candy can provide, you can purchase from a selection of specialty Halloween cocktails, but you’ll have to wait until you get there to see the options and prices. Be sure to come in costume so you have a shot at the $200, $100 and $50 cash prizes for the top three spots in a costume contest.

Located inside Kimpton Hotel Monaco, 555 8th St. NW. Starts at 7 p.m. on Saturday. Free admission. Find more information and register here.

Urban Roast: “spooky cocktails”
This Penn Quarter coffee shop/cafe fusion is showcasing craft Halloween-themed cocktails through Nov. 1. Urban Roast’s four “spooky cocktail” options include the Pale Russian ($21), a twist on a white russian with maple syrup, Green Goblin ($25) with with green apple gin and schnapps, Dead Man Walking ($22), a rum mule and Evil Margarita ($27), a spicy margarita. Instead of regular ice, each cocktail is served with dry ice which elevates the spooky feel. You can bring a friend to split one of these specialty drinks or if they’re out of your budget, sample one of the fall coffee drinks like the iced apple crisp macchiato ($5.75) or pumpkin spice sweet cream cold brew ($5.75).

916 G St. NW. Suite C-1 Open until 10 p.m. Monday and Tuesday, until 11 p.m. Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday and until midnight Friday and Saturday. Reservations are encouraged.

Rebel Taco: $5 “bloody” margaritas
Stop by Rebel Taco on U Street to refuel  and sip on $5 “bloody margaritas” after your halloween festivities. This taco shop, which is already conveniently decked out with decor like skeleton face murals and bright colors, will serve these discounted red margaritas all Halloween weekend. Pair your bloody margarita with tacos like The Get Shorty ($4.25) with short rib, shoestring plantains and avocado crema or the You Guac my World ($4.50) with fried avocado, chipotle sauce and shoestring plantains.

1214 U St. NW. Open until 10 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday, until 2:30 a.m. Friday and Saturday and until 9 p.m. Sunday.