D.C. residents receive free one-month Capital Bikeshare membership for Metro delays

File Photo by Camille Desanto | Assistant Photo Editor
Capital Bikeshare tweeted that the company’s bike stations would be “offline” Sunday night as the company removed all D.C. stations from a map on its website that displays each bikeshare posting throughout the DMV.

The D.C. government is granting residents a free 30-day Capital Bikeshare membership to “ease” disruptions caused by the ongoing reduced Metrorail service.

Mayor Muriel Bowser announced Monday her office is partnering with Lyft to provide the free memberships, which are available on the Capital Bikeshare website, according to a release. The membership includes free rides up to 45 minutes long on standard bikes, and the service starts charging 5 cents per minute thereafter.

“The service disruptions at Metro are deeply troubling for D.C. and the region,” Bowser said in the release. “D.C. is open and we need a fully functioning transit system to get workers, students and visitors across the city. We have been intentional, over the past several years, about making Capital Bikeshare more accessible and convenient for D.C. residents, and now we are proud to be able to offer this free one-month membership to every Washingtonian who might need it.”

The membership also includes a 33 percent discount on e-bike rides.

The reduced Metro service comes after Metro officials pulled all of their 7000-series trains, which comprise 60 percent of the train fleet, following a train derailment on the Blue Line on Oct. 12. The slowdown will last at least through the end of the month, and there is no clear timetable for when the 7000-series trains could return.