Treat yourself at these salons and spas near campus

Abigail Daley | Photographer
The key to a good haircut for Puglisi is “just listening to people,” allowing customers to dictate exactly what they want.

As the semester reaches its midway mark, take some time out of your hectic schedule to treat yourself to some self-care.

D.C. has no shortage of salons and spas to get pampered at. Look no further than Western Market to find Puglisi’s Hair Cuts, and venture just a few blocks from campus to find other salons and spas offering manicures, massages and facials.

Here’s a list of a few local salons and spas to guide you on your next relaxing getaway from campus:

For a complete spa day experience
Unwind and leave your stress behind with a visit to Unwind Wellness Center, located in both Adams Morgan and Georgetown. For Unwind’s Signature massage, therapists will combine elements of Swedish and deep tissue styles to provide you with a half hour ($60) or full hour ($100) customized treatment session tailored to your specific needs. The spa also offers a selection of facials starting at $60 that can be customized to each client. Voted the No. 1 massage and overall spa experience by Washington City Paper in 2020, Unwind is a reliable option for anyone looking for an activity at the intersection of comfort and luxury.

Adams Morgan: 1990 18th St. NW. Open daily from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Georgetown: 1054 Thomas Jefferson St. NW. Open daily from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.

For speciality nail art

For a high-quality manicure, Gloss Bar should be your first choice for its clean, light-filled salon creating a calm feel that’s an escape from the hustle of the city. Gloss Bar specializes in gel ($42) and dip powder ($54) manicures, but you can still get a classic manicure ($24). Their nail technicians are also skilled at custom designs, so you can leave with nails unique to you. Before heading to Gloss Bar, scroll through the salon’s Instagram page to get a feel for their work.

825 O St. NW. Open Monday through Friday 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.

For a stylish new haircut
Voted one of D.C.’s best Haircuts in 2019 by Allure Magazine, you can count on having good hair days after leaving Bang Salon. After taking the “stylist match quiz” on the salon website, you can book an appointment with the stylist that will work best for you. Appointments with one of the salon’s knowledgeable stylists start at $43 for men and $54 for women. Bang Salon also offers hair coloring services, from lowlights starting at $20 and highlights for $130.

1519 15th St. NW. Open Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.

For a haircut specializing in curly hair
Specializing in curly hair, Fiddleheads is a boutique salon for anyone looking to freshen up their curls. Located just a quick walk from campus in Dupont Circle, it’s a convenient spot to get a new cut. The salon’s light purple walls, sparkling chandeliers and eclectic collection of artwork is a beautiful place to restore and reshape your curls. A curly cut without a cleanse starts at $110 and a cut and cleanse is $135.

1515 17th St. NW. Open Tuesday through Friday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

For a convenient visit to the barber shop

Puglisi Hair Cuts, located at 2000 Penn, has been a convenient spot for a quick haircut for nearly 60 years. This barber shop specializes in men’s haircuts, shaves and kids haircuts with the average men’s haircut starting at $35. Owner Tony Puglisi immigrated to the United States from Italy in the 1960s when he joined the family barber shop business, DCist reported in 2019. Puglisi told DCist that the secret to a good haircut is “just listening to people,” so when you visit Puglisi’s you’ll get the haircut you expect.

2000 Pennsylvania Ave. NW. Open Monday through Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Friday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.