Campus spaces across Foggy Bottom shut down for bicentennial celebrations

Officials said they will shut down H Street and Kogan Plaza Saturday, coinciding with the University’s Commencement and Bicentennial Bash that are set to draw thousands to Foggy Bottom for the weekend’s bicentennial celebrations.

The University closed off H Street, Gelman Library, Kogan Plaza and parts of the University Student Center’s facilities this weekend because of campus-wide events marking the culmination of GW’s bicentennial celebrations.

Officials will shut down H Street and Kogan Plaza Saturday, coinciding with the University’s Commencement and Bicentennial Bash that are set to draw thousands to Foggy Bottom for the weekend filled with events recognizing alumni and the University community, according to an email sent to University community members Thursday. Officials said they also reduced seating in the first floor lounge area in the University Student Center Thursday and closed Gelman Library Friday.

The email states attendees of the GW Centuries Celebration Weekend would use the lounge area to check in and verify their compliance with GW’s vaccine requirement for the weekend.

University spokesperson Crystal Nosal said last week that more than 21,000 people are registered to attend Commencement, and nearly 12,000 attendees are registered for the Bicentennial Bash, which will take place at Kogan Plaza Saturday night.

Officials said they will will close off the 2100 block of H Street Saturday from 4 to 10 p.m., and they will block public access to Kogan Plaza at 5 p.m. for the Bicentennial Bash before reopening the space 3 a.m. Sunday.

“This weekend is a great time for our community members to come together and show their pride in GW, our impact and our community,” Nosal said in an email last week. “Especially after the previous year and a half, this celebratory weekend gives the GW community a chance to gather together and deepen a sense of belonging, connection and commitment.”

The University’s email states Gelman Library closed Friday at 10 p.m. and will reopen Monday at 7 a.m. Officials will handle “facilities maintenance” while the space is shut down, but Gelman’s digital service will remain available, according to the email.

“We apologize for the inconvenience, and we encourage you to visit one of the other campus libraries or study spaces available to you to ensure no disruption in your research or studies,” the email states.

Officials said they will also close the University Student Center garage Saturday from 3 to 10 p.m.