Weekend Outlook – Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month around D.C.

Discuss+the+deep+colors+and+variety+of+shapes+of+Diego+Rivera%E2%80%99s+%E2%80%9CNo.+9%2C+Nature+Morte+Espagnole%2C%E2%80%9D+the+National+Gallery+of+Arts+newest+installment+for+its+Art+of+Looking+talks.+
Photo Illustration by Sophia Young | Assistant Photo Editor
Discuss the deep colors and variety of shapes of Diego Rivera’s “No. 9, Nature Morte Espagnole,” the National Gallery of Art’s newest installment for its Art of Looking talks.

As Hispanic Heritage Month approaches its midway mark, take some time to immerse yourself in events around the city highlighting food, poetry and art from Hispanic cultures.

Attend a discussion to share observations and interpretations about a Diego Rivera painting Friday, swing by a book talk with a renowned Spanish language poet on Saturday and enjoy a variety of events at a Latin food and craft market on Sunday.

Friday

The Art of Looking: Diego Rivera, “No. 9, Nature Morte Espagnole”
To commemorate Hispanic Heritage Month, the National Gallery of Art has chosen Mexican painter Diego Rivera’s “No. 9, Nature Morte Espagnole” for the newest installment of its Art of Looking talks. The series consists of educators from the gallery facilitating a conversation between participants to share observations and ideas about artwork with the goal of fostering a deeper understanding of and appreciation for select works of art. The painting’s deep colors and variety of shapes make it an excellent topic for the hour-long discussion.

Virtual. 1 to 2 p.m. Free. Find more information here.

Saturday

Fernando Valverde and Carolyn Forché at Lost City Books
This Saturday, head to Lost City Books in Adams Morgan for a conversation between poets Fernando Valverde and Carolyn Forché about Valverde’s upcoming book entitled “America.” Valverde is a highly regarded Spanish language poet and holds numerous awards for his work including the Federico García Lorca and the Emilio Alarcos del Principado de Asturias awards. “America,” which Forché translated, examines and deconstructs American histories, legacies and ideals, like greed and a culture of violence.

Lost City Books, 2467 18th St. NW. 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $5 to $34. Find tickets here.

Sunday

Día de Familia at La Cosecha
The Latin food and craft market La Cosecha is hosting a family day on Sunday. While snacking on foods from vendors like La Casita Pupuseria and Peruvian Brothers, take a class on the cajon – a box-shaped percussion instrument – and play a game of Lotería. Round out the night with an outdoor screening of Pixar’s “Coco.”

La Cosecha, 1280 4th St. NE. Events from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Find more information here.