Male driver carjacked near Shenkman Hall Wednesday

Police officers responded to an armed carjacking near Shenkman Hall Wednesday night, according to a Metropolitan Police Department report.

The report states an unidentified subject pointed a handgun at a man driving a Chevrolet Trax at the intersection of Virginia Avenue and 24th Street at about 9:44 p.m., ordering him to exit the car. The driver – a man from Silver Spring, Maryland – complied with the demands before the subject drove off in the vehicle from the intersection located outside the Remington Apartments, according to the report.

MPD spokesperson Alaina Gertz said the car involved in the incident was located and recovered later that night. She said the investigation is still open and community members should contact police if they know any details about the incident.

“Anyone who has knowledge of this incident should take no action but call police at (202) 727-9099 or text your tip to the Department’s TEXT TIP LINE at 50411,” she said in an email.

Officials issued a GW Alert Wednesday night at about 10:05 p.m. to advise students to avoid the area before sending out a notice about 40 minutes later, clarifying that police had cleared the scene.

University spokesperson Crystal Nosal declined to comment on the incident, deferring to the Metropolitan Police Department.