Cissy Petty will remain permanent leader of Colonial Health Center

Petty+said+she+spent+her+first+academic+year+building+connections+with+students.+
File Photo by Donna Armstrong
Petty said she spent her first academic year building connections with students.

Officials will not search for a new executive director of the Colonial Health Center as Vice President of Student Affairs and Dean of Students Cissy Petty takes permanent leadership of the center, Petty said in an email.

After the abrupt departure of Glenn Egelman, the CHC’s director in 2017, Petty assumed the responsibilities of leading the CHC on a temporary basis as officials searched for a new permanent director. Petty now said she will continue to lead the center going forward, focusing on engaging with staff members and providing health services to students.

“As a hands-on leader who advocates for our students’ well-being, I will continue to lead the center,” Petty said in the email. “In this role, I’m able to learn about issues directly from the dedicated staff at the center, who continue to provide excellent comprehensive care to our students.”

Petty said she spent the 2018-19 academic year engaging in conversations with students and families to hear feedback about what experiences they wanted from a “comprehensive” health center. She said she also spoke with CHC staff about the services offered to students.

Petty said that during her time as temporary leader of the CHC, she hired Jessica Parrillo as the head of the Counseling and Psychological Services and created a new health care facility on the Mount Vernon Campus. She said she has also expanded the CHC’s operational hours on the weekends and increased options for telehealth and virtual counseling options during the pandemic.

Petty added that the CHC has an “excellent team” in place with Parrillo as director of CAPS and Isabel Goldenberg directing medical services.

“These two leaders continue to run the day-to-day operations of the center and have helped guide our students through the last 18 months of the pandemic,” Petty said.