Weekend Outlook – Attend a short-film festival

Photo Illustration by Grace Hromin | Senior Photo Editor
Check out the Goethe-Institut to watch three short films and engage in a Q&A with the local filmmakers who produced the movies.

If you partied too hard during the first week of classes, lay low this weekend and enjoy these laid-back activities around D.C.

Check out a short-film festival and Q&A session with local filmmakers, participate in a 5K honoring the victims of 9/11 and enjoy a hard seltzer and yoga on The Wharf’s pier on Sunday.

Friday

DC Shorts 2021 International Film Festival
Visit the Goethe-Institut Friday to enjoy a three-part short film showcase sponsored by DC Shorts, a group that provides career resources for filmmakers. The three films include Miss Alma Thomas: A Life in Color which tells the story of a Black artist in the 1920s and 30s, Ourselves, In Stories, which is about diversity among comic storytellers over the past 25 years and Oversight, which shares the story of how D.C.’s independent local government was shaped. A Q&A session with the local filmmakers who produced the films will follow the screenings.

Goethe-Institut Washington, 1377 R St. NW. Showcase starts at 6 p.m. Tickets are $11.53. Find more information here.

Saturday

Arlington Police, Fire, Sheriff and ECC 9/11 Memorial 5K run

Spend the 20th anniversary of 9/11 participating virtually in a 5K run to commemorate victims of the attacks. The proceeds of the event will go toward charities focused on healing military personnel and civilians affected by the attacks of 9/11. In the past, the race has raised more than $800,000 for 9/11-related charities. Register online for the virtual race before the tickets sell out.

Online. The race will begin at 6 p.m. Tickets are $40. Find more information here.

Sunday

Outdoor Yoga at the Wharf
Grab a friend and head to outdoor yoga hosted by District Flow Yoga company at The Wharf’s Recreation Pier. You can also snag a complimentary hard seltzer if you’re one of the first 25 people to arrive. You can arrive up to 30 minutes early to check in if you want to be sure to get a seltzer. Remember to bring your own yoga mat, water bottle and mask to enjoy the class.

Recreation Pier at the Wharf, 101 District Square SW. Class runs from 9 to 10 a.m. Tickets are $10 per person. Find tickets and information here.