Student discounts to save you money

From+newspapers+to+electronics%2C+music+to+biking+and+the+arts+to+mobile+apps%2C+use+your+student+status+to+save+a+few+bucks.+
Photo Illustration by Sophia Young | Assistant Photo Editor
From newspapers to electronics, music to biking and the arts to mobile apps, use your student status to save a few bucks.

It’s no secret that being a college student in D.C. can get costly, but don’t let the city’s price tag break your budget.

Chances are you already utilize student discounts at major companies like Spotify and Amazon, but also keep an eye out for local student discounts at places like the Kennedy Center and Capital Bikeshare. Put your .edu email address to good use this upcoming year and save some money on music, entertainment and local activities.

Spotify 
Spotify offers all college students an almost 50 percent discount of $4.99 per month on Spotify Premium, which allows account holders to stream and download music without ads. Their most recent promotion also includes Hulu with ads and Showtime, ad-free. To access this discount, you’ll need to submit your name, the name of your college, email address and date of birth, according to it’s terms of qualification.

UNiDAYS
For students looking to save money without the hassle of searching out discounts on their own, UNiDAYS is the app to download. This all-encompassing bargain app combines student discounts and deals from more than 150 brands including HelloFresh, Calvin Klein and Samsung. You can find discounts for anything from fashion and beauty to technology and media outlets. Students can access UNiDAYS discounts by creating an account with their GW email.

Apple 
Apple offers student discounts on Apple Products and Apple Music. With Apple’s education pricing, students can receive a free pair of AirPods when they purchase qualifying MacBooks, iPads and accessories. The Apple Music student discount allows students to stream music ad-free for $4.99/month and requires verification via a UNiDAYS account if purchasing online. Students need to show their valid GW ID or provide proof of enrollment when purchasing in store.

Nicholas Anastacio | Graphics Editor

Newspaper subscriptions
GW students have access to free online subscriptions to The New York Times, The Washington Post and The Wall Street Journal. Students can read The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal for free by creating an account with their GW email. The Washington Post can be accessed through their website, but students must be signed in with their GW NetID and password on their browser. Unfortunately, students cannot use their University subscription to access The Post through its app. All online subscriptions can be accessed anywhere students have internet access – regardless of whether they are on campus or not.

The Phillips Collection
America’s First Museum of Modern Art, The Phillips Collection, located in Dupont Circle, offers student tickets for $10 if they show a valid student ID as opposed to the regular $16 general admission ticket price. Tickets must be reserved in advance via their website. Anticipated exhibits include late American painter Jacob Lawrence’s The American Struggle, which highlights the history of Black oppression in the United States and an exhibit featuring work from 64 local artists titled Inside, Outside, Upside Down which focuses on portraying the struggles of the year 2020.

The Kennedy Center
The Kennedy Center offers undergraduate students discounted ticket prices through its MyTix program which streamlines ticket discounts for undergraduate students and active duty members. Through MyTix, tickets can be discounted at more than half off and the 14 percent service fee is waived. The tickets are first-come first-served and there is a two ticket purchase limit. Food, beverages and gift shop items from The Kennedy Center are also discounted 10 percent for students with a MyTix account. Current and upcoming offers are sent out in a weekly email each Friday for account holders. In order to join the MyTix subscription students may create an account with their GW or personal email and will be asked to verify their student ID when picking up tickets at the Box Office.

Capital Bikeshare University Membership Program
If you you’re looking to change up your transportation options around the city, check out Capital Bikeshare’s University Membership Program. For $25 per year – a $60 discount from the usual annual membership fee – you can use Capital Bikeshare bikes to get around campus, throughout D.C. and into Maryland and Virginia. With more than 4,300 bikes at 500 stations around the D.C., you won’t have a problem getting to where you need to be. You can pick up or drop off a bike at multiple locations around campus.