GW-specific slang to make you feel like a seasoned student

File Photo by Eric Lee
It won’t be long before these terms become a regular part of your vocabulary.

If you’re new to campus, you might find yourself scratching your head when you hear about someone getting “EMeRGed” or heading to “Gelbucks”.

We compiled this dictionary of GW-specific terms so you can familiarize yourself with campus slang before the semester starts. From a shuttle that runs back and forth between the Mount Vernon and Foggy Bottom campuses to a crepe restaurant that doubles as a dance club on weekends, learning these terms will make you feel like a seasoned student.

EMeRG: EMeRG is a student-run emergency medical response group that will transport anyone living on the Foggy Bottom campus to the hospital for free. You’re likely to hear about students being “EMeRGed” if they are found with an excessive amount of alcohol in their system, but GW community members can call EMeRG 24/7 for any emergency medical issue.

The Vex: The Vern Express – shortened to “The Vex” – is a shuttle running between the Foggy Bottom and Mount Vernon campuses. Most freshmen living in Foggy Bottom only take the Vex to and from their University Writing classes, but if you live on the Vern, be prepared to budget extra time for traffic if you’ve got classes in Foggy Bottom during rush hour. Follow the “Overheard on the Vex” Instagram account for amusing tidbits heard on the shuttle.

Crepeaway: This crepe cafe serves both sweet and savory crepes, but it’s the shop’s lively nighttime atmosphere that typically attracts freshmen to this spot. The joint stays open until 3 a.m. on Thursdays and until 4 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays, making it a popular destination for a night out. If you drop by the cafe on a weekend, chances are you’ll spot some of your fellow classmates dancing on the tables.

Nicholas Anastacio | Graphics Editor

The basement of Gelman: The dim lighting and old furniture in the basement of Gelman Library provide the perfect setting for finishing up a paper due at midnight. This floor of Gelman is a great place to hold study groups or do homework with friends. Gelman is open 24 hours a day, so you may find some students falling asleep over their work in the thick of midterms or finals.

Late-night monumenting: By day the National Mall is typically filled to the brim with eighth graders on their class trip and grumpy families on vacation. But at night you’re likely to find groups of college students traversing the Lincoln Memorial and the Washington Monument to beat the crowds. Consider suggesting this activity the next time you’re looking for a romantic date idea or just want to walk and talk with friends.

Deli: The GW Delicatessen – a.k.a Deli – pumps out countless bacon, egg and cheese bagels every day. Get used to seeing a line out the door of this G Street establishment during breakfast and lunchtime, but the line moves fast, so make sure you know what to order by the time you get to the counter. You might also get to know its beloved staff including the popular attractive cashier and the friendly employees who make the bagels.

Gelbucks: Gelbucks is slang for the Starbucks next to the Gelman, also known as, the only thing keeping students alive during exam seasons. Know that this is a place where mobile coffee orders go to die. During peak morning and midday hours, this Starbucks gets chaotic and you’ll have a hard time finding your drink among a mountain of other mobile orders. So wait in line and make friends with the employees who are often fellow students.

HelWell: Short for Lerner Health and Wellness Center, GW’s gym is located across from Shenkman Hall. The recreation center houses a mix of spaces like a squash court, a lap pool and a floor with a variety of gym equipment to satisfy everyone’s interests. Workout or not, students also flock to HelWell to grab acai bowls from South Block, located on the first floor.

Thirsty Thursdays: Thursday nights are the one night a week where a few 21+ nightclubs in the city admit patrons 18 and older, making it a popular night for underclassmen to go out on the town. On any given Thursday you’ll find students at clubs like Decades and Ultrabar. Take advantage of these Thursday night deals, but remember to stay safe and make sure to set your alarm before heading out if you’ve got early morning classes.