Cross country enlists Samantha Nadel as assistant coach

Nadel+spent+the+last+two+years+as+an+assistant+distance+coach+at+North+Carolina%2C+where+she+helped+produce+two+All-Americans.+
Hatchet File Photo by Dean Whitelaw | Staff Photographer
Nadel spent the last two years as an assistant distance coach at North Carolina, where she helped produce two All-Americans.

Cross country and track and field head coach Terry Weir named six-time All-American champion Samantha Nadel as an assistant coach on earlier this month.

“We are very excited to welcome Sam to the Nation’s Capital as the newest member of our GW family,” Weir said in a release. “Sam brings a wealth of experience as an athlete, both collegiately and professionally, due to her understanding in balancing high-level academics with high-level athletics.”

Nadel spent the last two years as an assistant distance coach at North Carolina, where she helped produce two All-Americans in Paige Hofstad and Thomas Ratcliffe and guided the women’s cross country program to 14th place at the national meet last March,” the release states.

“As a coach, her attention and focus on building strong relationships and mentoring fits perfectly with our vision of developing individuals into champions on and off the track,” Weir said in the release.

Nadel began her professional career by spending a year training with the Boston Athletic Association. She represented the BAA during the 2018 USATF Cross Country Championships followed by three appearances during the 2019 indoor season, finishing first in the mile at Boston University’s Multi-Team Meet and fourth in the 3000 meters at the John Thomas Terrier Classic.

As a Hoya, Nadel claimed three All-American finishes, two cross country All-Region finishes, three Big East titles, eight All-Big East honors and one ECAC title. She spent her graduate years at Oregon where she earned her next three All-American honors.

During the 2015 indoor campaign, Nadel nabbed the Big East titles in the DMR and 3000 meters. She finished 21st in the 2016 NCAA Cross Country Outdoor Championships and fourth in the 300 meter in the 2017 NCAA Indoor Championships.