Weekend Outlook – Participate in the Water Lantern Festival at the National Harbor

Courtesy of waterlaternfestival.com
After designing their own lanterns, guests at the Water Lantern Festival can watch their creation be sent out in the National Harbor.

Set aside some time to relax and appreciate the city this weekend before classes start up again at the end of the month.

Support local artists at an exhibition on Friday, unwind with a virtual yoga class on Saturday and attend a picturesque lantern festival on Sunday.

Friday

Together art exhibit

Journey out to Alexandria, Va. to celebrate local artisans from the Del Ray neighborhood. The organization behind the event, Del Ray Artisans, aims to foster artistic expression in the visual, performing and applied arts. Their exhibit, Together, opens to visitors Friday and will run through Aug. 28. Guests can reserve tickets for a 30-minute viewing period ahead of time to gain priority access, and the gallery is limited to 15 guests at a time to ensure proper social distancing.

Del Ray Artisans, 2704 Mount Vernon Ave., Alexandria, Va. 22301. Open Friday noon to 9 p.m. Free admission. Reserve tickets here. Find more information here.

Saturday

Yoga from the Garden

Take some time for self-care this weekend by joining an online yoga class hosted by the U.S. Botanic Garden. The class is led by an instructor from WithLoveDC, which organizes pop-up community yoga and meditation gatherings around the District. Registration is free, but there is a guest limit of 100 people, so be sure to register quickly ahead of time. If you’re not able to attend the live class, check out pre-recorded yoga lessons to watch on your own time and at your own pace.

Online registration. 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Free admission. Find more information here.

Sunday

Water Lantern Festival

Attend a magical floating lantern festival at the National Harbor Sunday evening hosted by the Water Lantern Festival community which holds these festivals in cities across the country. At the event, visitors in the District can enjoy food trucks and music before designing their own lanterns. An adult ticket includes a lantern kit, marker, drawstring bag and scavenger hunt giveaway entry. Once you’re done customizing your lantern, guests will enjoy the dazzling sight and experience of launching their lanterns in the Harbor. 

National Harbor SouthPointe, 701 National Harbor Blvd., Oxon Hill, Md. 20745. 5 to 10 p.m. $25.99 for adult ticket. Reserve your ticket here. Find more information here.