Western Market to offer new food vendors near campus this month

2000+Penn+will+open+a+mix+of+fast+casual+and+sit-down+restaurants+at+the+Western+Market+food+hall%2C+which+is+slated+to+open+by+the+end+of+the+calendar+year.+
2000 Penn will open a mix of fast casual and sit-down restaurants at the Western Market food hall, which is slated to open by the end of the calendar year.

A public dining hall will open at The Shops at 2000 Penn this month, bringing a new set of dining options to campus.

The facility known as Western Market will feature more than 10 new restaurants that will start business in August and September after the market opens later this month, according to a Washingtonian report. The report states that more vendors will open in September, offering a new selection of local food options at the facility that’s been in the making for more than three years.

Western Market will be home to a total of 14 vendors in the building with 12,300 square feet, according to its website. Businesses opening this month include Roaming Rooster, an Italian deli, a lobster roll shop, a vegan-focused restaurant, according to Washingtonian.

The report states the hall will debut Greek, sushi, pizza, salad and arepa restaurants in September.

The market was initially set to open by the end of last year before the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Renovation work at the site began in late 2019 after the University signed a deal with MRP Realty, the developers of the complex, and Westbrook Partners, a real estate investment management company, in May of 2018. The Foggy Bottom and West End Advisory Neighborhood Commission approved a request to renovate the area around Western Market with seating furniture and new plant beds this past May.