Weekend Outlook – Visit a museum highlighting women in the arts

Courtesy of nmwa.org
The National Museum of Women in the Arts showcases more than 5,000 works of art spanning several centuries.

As the fall semester creeps up on us, take advantage of all that the District has to offer before classes begin next month. 

Attend a stand-up show on Friday night, watch the Citi Open opening night tournament and visit the National Museum of Women in the Arts for free on Sunday. 

Friday

The Friday Funnies Showcase presented by Capital Laughs

Sit back, relax and enjoy a stand-up comedy show this Friday at CenterPointe in Adams Morgan. Capital Laughs, a District-based comedy group, produces 11 free live shows every week, often featuring comics like Monroe Martin III and Sean Finnerty who have performed on networks like Comedy Central, TBS, HBO and NBC. The venue is located at a gym called CenterPointe underneath the Adams Morgan Starbucks on 18th Street. The event, which is BYOB, will begin at 8 p.m. and is expected to sell out, so be sure to purchase your tickets in advance on Eventbrite at a donate-what-you-want price with a minimum of a $1 donation.

The Gym, 1802 Adams Mill Rd. NW. 8 p.m. Purchase tickets here. Find more information here.

Saturday

Citi Open

The opening night of the Citi Open will take place at the Rock Creek Park Tennis Center for the first time since 2019. Gates will open at 11 a.m. and the Association of Tennis Professionals Qualifying Matches will be played from noon till 6 p.m. Several notable tennis players will hit the courts this Saturday, but the most anticipated player is Spanish star Rafael Nadal who will be making his tournament debut at this event. 

Rock Creek Park Tennis Center, 4850 Colorado Ave. NW. Match starts at noon. Tickets start at $17. Purchase tickets here. Find more information here.

Sunday

National Museum of Women in the Arts

Starting Sunday, the National Museum of Women in the Arts will offer free admission before the museum undergoes a two-year renovation beginning Aug. 8. The institution is the only art museum in the world solely dedicated to highlighting women in the arts, so be sure to take advantage of NMWA’s artwork before construction is underway. The museum showcases more than 5,000 works of art that span from the late-sixteenth century through today, embodying a wide range of techniques, mediums and cultures. Among the museum’s current offerings is an exhibit by photographer Mary Ellen Mark titled Girlhood which features photos Mark has taken throughout her career of girls and young women. Spots will fill up quickly, so be sure to reserve your spot ahead of time.

National Museum of Women in the Arts, 1250 New York Ave. NW. Open Sunday noon to 5 p.m. Free admission. Reserve your spot here. Find more information here.