Weekend Outlook – Attend a mini music festival at The Kennedy Center

File Photo by Arielle Bader
The REACH at the Kennedy Center offers visitors a prime autumnal landscape to embrace the fall season.

Instead of staying home to binge watch your favorite TV show at the moment, get outside this weekend to explore the District’s reopening art and music scenes.

Attend a mini music festival at the Kennedy Center, visit a reopened Smithsonian art museum or visit a pop-up exhibit with fashion-centric photo opportunities to spice up your Instagram feed.

Friday

Adobo Gigante music festival at The Kennedy Center 

Throughout the rest of the summer and into the fall, The Kennedy Center’s Millennium Stage will host mini festivals featuring music, dance and art. This weekend, check out the “Adobo Gigante” music festival, which celebrates the Afro-Latinx experience and will feature popular local D.C. musicians and sets from DJ Pedro Night, DJ Bembona, DJ Alizay, DJ Bo and more. Upcoming mini festivals will include live musical performances, dance lessons on the REACH plaza and skateboarding performance art. During the festivals, visitors can also stop by The Kennedy Center’s bar and restaurant Victura Park which offers extensive beer and wine options and a limited food menu of charcuterie and cheese boards and street tacos. 

The Kennedy Center, 2700 F St. NW. Thursday at 7 p.m., Friday at 5 p.m. and Saturday at 10 a.m. Free admission. Find more information and register here.

Saturday

The Freer Gallery of Art

The Freer Gallery of Art, which is conjoined with the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Smithsonian’s National Museum of Asian Art, officially reopened last week for the first time since pandemic closures. The Japanese artist Katsushika Hokusai, who’s most famous for his “Great Wave Off the Coast of Kanagawa,” will be the highlighted exhibit in the museum. The gallery exhibit also includes some of Hokusai’s manga drawings, paintings and woodblock printings which depict everyday Japanese life. 

Freer Gallery of Art, Jefferson Drive at 12th St. SW. Open Friday through Tuesday 11 a.m. to  4 p.m. (last admittance at 3 p.m.) Free admission. Find more information here.

Sunday

Inside the Wardrobe

If you’re looking for an interactive experience that combines art, photography and fashion, look no further than the interactive pop-up exhibit “Inside the Wardrobe” in Georgetown. The exhibit is open through Aug. 29 and features 20 rooms dedicated to different elements of fashion, design and construction where visitors can pose for Insta-worthy photos. The exhibit, which is curated by the design company Design Foundry, was created to encourage visitors to take photos and explore the pop-up with the goal that patrons feel “inspired to think more about fashion in fun new ways,” according to its website.

3270 M St. NW, Suite C100. Open Thursdays and Fridays, 5 to 9 p.m., Saturdays and Sundays, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Tickets are $24 for students, $28 for general admission. Find more information here.