GWorld vendors granted $7.6 million in COVID-19 pandemic aid

Media Credit: Hatchet File Photo

Three vendors received grants larger than $1 million dollars with just more than $1 million going to Kaz Sushi Bistro, about $1.25 million to Toryumon Japanese House and more than $2 million going to Tonic at Quigley’s.

GWorld vendors received $7.6 million in federal grant money under a program that aims to assist struggling restaurants throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.

The federal government distributed funding to 11 GWorld vendors as part of the Restaurant Revitalization Fund – a $28.6 billion program that was established by the American Rescue Plan in March, according to a federal database. Three of the 11 restaurants received grants larger than $1 million dollars with just more than $1 million going to Kaz Sushi Bistro, about $1.25 million to Toryumon Japanese House and more than $2 million going to Tonic at Quigley’s, according to the database.

A total of 732 restaurants in D.C. and more than 101,000 restaurants nationwide received grants that ranged from $1,000 to $10 million, according to the database.

The Gallery Cafe in Shenkman Hall received more than $980,000, and Sol Mexican Grill received approximately $608,000, the data shows.

GCDC Grilled Cheese Bar received more than $570,000, GW Delicatessen received about $300,000 and Abunai Poke and Crepeaway both received approximately $200,000, according to the database. The data states that Uptowner Cafe received $222,000 and Paisano’s Pizza received nearly $170,000.

To qualify for a grant, a restaurant company must have fewer than 20 locations and cannot be a publicly traded company, according to an Eater report. Bakeries, food trucks and caterers also qualified for the funds, according to the Small Business Administration.