Weekend Outlook – Visit DC Lines art exhibit at the Amy Kaslow gallery

Photo illustration by Sophia Young | Assistant Photo Editor
The gallery, located near American University, features art from three local artists.

Don’t get caught in the Foggy Bottom bubble this weekend – head out into the rest of the city to explore vibrant art, music and food.

Start your weekend with a leisurely stroll around a linearly themed art exhibit, round up some friends and hit up an outdoor indie concert in Takoma Saturday night and finish your weekend learning how to make fresh hot sauce at H Street Farms. 

Friday

DC Lines art exhibit

This recently opened exhibit at the Amy Kaslow Gallery, located in the Spring Valley neighborhood of Northwest D.C. near American University, highlights the beauty of the line through paintings. Featuring three local artists – Elroy Williams, the late Andrew Kaslow and Linda Cafritz – the exhibit highlights “inescapably, alluringly linear,” art pieces, according to the gallery’s website. Williams’ contemporary paintings bring lively color combinations and crisp, bold lines while Kaslow’s pieces showcase organic patterns and tones with darker colors and Cafritz’s art is distinctly abstract with delicate colors and texture.

Amy Kaslow Gallery, 4300 Fordham Rd. NW. Exhibit open 1 to 7 p.m. Free admission. Find more information here

Saturday

Outdoor concert at Rhizome DC

If you’re willing to trek up to the Takoma Metro station just south of the Maryland border, you’ll be in for an outdoor concert hosted at Rhizome DC, a non-profit community art space. Nice Breeze, an alternative heavy-metal rock band, BRNDA, an indie electronic-rock band and Canandaigua, a lo-fi folk singer-songwriter, will perform. The restrooms inside the building will be open for use and guests are free to peruse any displayed art in the building during the concert as well. Guests who have not been vaccinated against COVID-19 are required to wear a mask. 

Rhizome DC community art space, 6950 Maple St. NW. Concert begins at 6 p.m. Tickets are $5 per person but larger donations are encouraged. Find more information and buy tickets here

Sunday

Hot sauce blending class

Join farmers from Cultivate the City, an urban farm and gardening company, to learn about the art of making hot sauce. You’ll be given a tour of the H Street Farm and get to help harvest a variety of peppers like Carolina Reaper, Thai Chili and Aji Armarillo peppers along with other fresh produce that will be used in the hot sauce blending demonstration. You’ll learn about the flavor profile of different peppers, how to make your hot sauce shelf-stable and how to find your ideal heat level. The ticket includes a small bottle of hot sauce made during the demonstration and all the ingredients you’ll need to make your own bottle at home.

Cultivate the City’s H Street Farms, 910 Bladensburg Rd. NE. Class runs from 1 to 2 p.m. Tickets are $30 per person. Find more information here.